Chicago Sun-Times
with sports reporters Daryl Van Schouwen and Chris De Luca

One happy family - Ken Williams and Ozzie Guillen are moving forward

| No Comments | No TrackBacks

whitesoxx-large.jpgLAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. - General manager Ken Williams and manager Ozzie Guillen have ended the cold war - for now.
Williams was asked several times about where the relationship currently was with Guillen, and after first joking about it on Monday, well, it was Kenny being Kenny.
"I'm going to say this without cursing ... I am tired about talking about what was last year and what is old news,'' Williams said. "We are above and beyond that and it just ... come on. You know what, I'm not going to answer any questions on that. I'm not. It's a waste of my time.''
Maybe it is, but the hope from Guillen is the two have now taken steps to repair what was broken after having dinner last week.
"I said, 'Listen, we going to get divorced, then just get divorced. But we got to put everything clear up and move on,' '' Guillen said. "We decided to do it and we are doing it. I promise [board chairman] Jerry [Reinsdorf] and him, on behalf of my part, I will do the best I can to make this thing work.
"Kenny can't live like that. I can't live like that. I'm pretty sure, and I'm not going to say I'm 100 percent, but I think things will move on and be better. The way we talk right now, back to normal, I need that. I want to clear my mind to say what I want to say and do what I want to do, to do what we do in the past. ... we have to grow up and move on and make sure all the ashes stay down and don't burn the thing. I think it's not healthy, it's not good for the ballclub. It's not good for anyone.''
As far as Guillen's future beyond 2011, well the eighth-year manager said that's no longer a concern of his. The way Guillen's contract works out now, he is signed through '11 with an option for 2012 that is automatically vested if he wins the division. Otherwise, he is free to walk anywhere he wants, along with most of his coaching staff.
"As a contract thing, it's up to Kenny,'' Guillen said. "I'm not going to talk about contract. If Kenny wants to talk about contract, I talk to him. If he doesn't want to talk to me, I respect that.
"I feel good about the situation. If at the end of the season they want me back, everyone out there knows I want to be back. If they don't want me back, we have to move on. Right now, I'm very excited about this ballclub. I am. I think people in Chicago should be.''

No TrackBacks

TrackBack URL: http://blogs.suntimes.com/cgi-bin/mt-tb.cgi/37529

Leave a comment

About this Entry

This page contains a single entry by Joe Cowley published on December 6, 2010 7:00 PM.

J.J. Putz declines arbitration and source says so does Paul Konerko was the previous entry in this blog.

Camp Konerko meets with Williams - how long can Sox wait? is the next entry in this blog.

Find recent content on the main index or look in the archives to find all content.