Jermaine Dye gave up on the idea of somehow returning to the Sox beyond the 2009 season in late September.
So it was no shock whatsoever that the paperwork for the breakup between the White Sox and the outfielder continued on Tuesday when the club announced that they will not offer salary arbitration to Dye, outfielder Scott Podsednik, reliever Octavio Dotel or backup catcher Ramon Castro by the midnight deadline.
What it means is the Sox won't receive any drafts picks as compensation should Dye or Dotel - both Type A free agents - sign with another team. Podsednik and Castro didn't fall into that category.
As for Dye, he told the Sun-Times last month that he had already been receiving calls from at least eight major-league teams and wasn't ruling anyone out.
There was a report that the New York Yankees denied that they had interest in Dye, but that was seemingly the Bronx Bombers trying to work under the radar, especially because someone familiar with the talks said that New York had even requested the medical reports on Dye.
Texas was an early favorite, but would want the veteran to take a majority of his at-bats in the designated-hitter role. A scenario that Dye has all but said no way to.
Boston, St. Louis and San Francisco have each kicked the tires as well.
NOTE: The Sox also announced the early lineup for SoxFest 2010, with players like Freddy Garcia, Jake Peavy, Jayson Nix, A.J. Pierzynski, Alexei Ramirez and Matt Thornton locked in to attend.
Coincidentally, Bobby Jenks' name was not listed, despite the fact that the closer actually is the one player that lives in Chicago in the offseason.
Jenks and the Sox have not seen eye-to-eye with his conditioning, with both sides expressing that in the Sun-Times two weeks ago.