Dewayne Wise stated several times this season that he never really felt truly appreciated by White Sox fans, and so on Friday, the outfielder that will forever be linked with Mark Buehrle's perfect game opted for free agency rather than accepting an outright assignment to Class AAA Charlotte.
The 31-year-old Wise, who actually won the leadoff job and starting center field spot out of spring training before separating his shoulder early on, hit .225 with two homers and 11 RBI in 84 games with the South Siders.
It was his leaping catch at the wall to preserve Buehrle's perfect game against Tampa Bay on July 23, however, which was Wise's most memorable moment, and maybe one of the more memorable moments in club history considering what was on the line.
Wise came on the scene in the second half of the 2008 season, getting spot starts before taking over in the outfield for a slumping Nick Swisher.
It was not the first time Wise had an opportunity to leave the organization, as he agreed to take an assignment early in 2008 after both Ken Williams and Ozzie Guillen told him that they would need him again that season.
True to their word they did. But when the team acquired Alex Rios and then Mark Kotsay in '09, Wise said he was out of the doing-favors-for-the-club business if it happened again, and sure enough it did on Friday.
With the move the Sox 40-man roster stood at 36.
The usual suspects
While no one from the Sox has come forth and declared that they were out until all hours of the night with Detroit slugger Miguel Cabrera last week, it's pretty obvious who the prime suspects are.
1. Manager Ozzie Guillen - A close friend of Cabrera's from their Florida days, as well as a guy not afraid to have a few cocktails now and then.
2. Freddy Garcia - The pitcher is also close with Cabrera - through Guillen - and there's a reason "Sweaty Freddy'' is always perspiring on the mound.
3. Alex Rios - Not afraid to go out late at night ... and into the morning.
4. Octavio Dotel - Loves the road, loves the night-life.
5. Tony Pena - He's Octavio Dotel ... five years ago.
6. Ozzie Guillen Jr. - Would be the prime suspect, but he wasn't on the road trip to Detroit ... or was he?