Chicago Sun-Times
with sports reporters Daryl Van Schouwen and Chris De Luca

Kenny GM now holds future of coaching staff

| 1 Comment | No TrackBacks

610x.jpgThose contract extensions for the entire coaching staff that were expected to be signed, sealed and delivered with a mid-April announcement?
Well, they're no longer in Ozzie Guillen's hands.
And while the White Sox manager was saying all the right things about his current staff and their immediate future on Tuesday, he also made it very clear that the final decision will now come from general manager Ken Williams.
That's a bit different than what was said several years ago, when Williams insisted that Guillen was given the full say of the firing and hiring of the staff around him. Even earlier this season, the manager told the Sun-Times that several of the coaches had already signed deals and they were finalizing extensions with the others.
"I want them all here as long as I'm here,'' Guillen said then.
He even went out of his way in Toronto on Friday to give hitting coach Greg Walker a vote of confidence. Will that same vote now come from Williams?
"I know a lot of people are starting to say that we aren't going to sign our coaches now because the way we're playing, but to be honest with you, if we don't think the coaches here now can help us, they're not here,'' Guillen insisted. "They would be gone. I think all those guys are doing the best job they can to get the players better. I'm not going to keep saying that I want them here as long as I'm here now, because I don't want to put my shoes in my mouth later. I think they are OK. I talked to [board chairman] Jerry about it, I talked to Kenny about it. The contract stuff, that's now up to Kenny and [assistant GM] Rick [Hahn] and Jerry.
"They asked me about it, and I said I wanted them all back. I don't know if they want to put it on hold or when they want to do it or if they want to do it, that's up to them.''
Pitching coach Don Cooper, Walker, bench coach Joey Cora, and first base coach Harold Baines have been with Guillen since he took of the helm prior to the 2004 season. Each of their contracts are up after this season. Third base coach Jeff Cox and bullpen coach Juan Nieves were hired prior to the '08 season, and Nieves is also up at the end of the year.
What Guillen did say was that the delay in inking the entire group had nothing to do with the club having second thoughts as they sink in the standings.
"If I was doing that they wouldn't be here,'' Guillen said. "It's not because we won a championship, won the division, because I don't care about that as much as do they work hard? They work hard, they prepare the guys as best they can, they have a feel for this organization. They do everything a manager can ask. If it doesn't work out the way we want it to, we'll take the blame, and we're man enough to do it. I don't see any of my coaches hiding from how bad we're playing from the media or the fans - we'll take the blame. I take the blame for the entire ballclub.
"I don't think we need to be in such a hurry to do it. I think Kenny wants to think about it, and I hope it gets done soon.''

No TrackBacks

TrackBack URL: http://blogs.suntimes.com/cgi-bin/mt-tb.cgi/22878

1 Comment

someone poke ozzie with a stick and wake him up because he needs to start playing nix everyday at 3b instead of fields..i mean my god these are obvious moves and he doesnt make them until fields just completely embarrasses himself playing the worst game ive ever seen one person play tonight

Leave a comment

About this Entry

This page contains a single entry by Joe Cowley published on May 19, 2009 8:45 PM.

Thoughts from Ozzie was the previous entry in this blog.

Buehrle on the Twins: 'I own them' is the next entry in this blog.

Find recent content on the main index or look in the archives to find all content.