Chicago Sun-Times
with sports reporters Daryl Van Schouwen and Chris De Luca

Dye appeals suspension

| No Comments | No TrackBacks

g051309sox3_cst_feed_20090513_14_19_21_584_h=400&w=262.jpgTORONTO - Jermaine Dye isn't even quite sure how the appeal process works, but that didn't stop the White Sox outfielder for challenging the system on Friday afternoon, as he put in for an appeal of the two-game suspension he received for an incident in Cleveland.
After being called out on strikes to end the sixth inning Wednesday, Dye had some choice words for home plate umpire Mike DiMuro, and as he was walking away, slammed his batting helmet down to the ground. It ricocheted back, however, and apparently hit DiMuro.
"Then I walked away and slammed my helmet down in frustration,'' Dye explained on Friday. "I didn't even know that it ricocheted back at him. I didn't even turn around, so I didn't know it hit him. I still haven't seen the replay. I don't even know what it looks like.''
What it looked like was not only a two-game suspension, but a fine for an undisclosed amount for what the league has determined were "inappropriate actions.''
While manager Ozzie Guillen said he wasn't surprised by the punishment, Dye said he was surprised.
"I didn't know what to expect because I've never been suspended,'' Dye said. "I didn't know how they even go about knowing how long a suspension should even be. I figured if anything I should be fined. It wasn't intentional, I didn't try and ... I can't control the helmet if it goes backwards. I slammed it straight down just being mad at myself. That was it, it wasn't intentional.''
Dye was in the starting lineup against Toronto.

No TrackBacks

TrackBack URL:

Leave a comment

About this Entry

This page contains a single entry by Joe Cowley published on May 15, 2009 6:44 PM.

Dye suspended two games was the previous entry in this blog.

Ozzie goes off; Danks rips Toronto fans is the next entry in this blog.

Find recent content on the main index or look in the archives to find all content.