TUCSON, Ariz. – Any concerns Ozzie Guillen may have had with the attitude of shortstop Juan Uribe this spring, were quickly put to rest on Thursday morning.
The White Sox manager had heard that Uribe was upset with the fact that the club signed the shortstop to a one-year contract extension in November and then promptly acquired Orlando Cabrera from the Angels to take his job.
That not only left Uribe without his usual home at short, but also threw him into a fight with Danny Richar, Pablo Ozuna and Alexei Ramirez for the starting job at second base.
It also had Guillen laying down the law earlier this week, stating that if Uribe came into camp and wasn’t happy, he would be sent elsewhere.
Guillen need not worry.
“Yeah, [the Cabrera trade] was a shock, not a shock, but I heard the news and I was like, ‘Wait a second, they just signed me to a contract and then they made the trade,’ ‘’ Uribe said through translator/coach Omer Munoz. “But I talked to a lot of people and everything was fine after that.’’
Make no mistake about it, however, Uribe wants the starting job at second.
“They don’t have to worry about my attitude,’’ Uribe said. “Whatever they need me to do. I’ve never had one problem anywhere I’ve been. I’m here to work hard and win that second base job. If not, whatever job they give me.’’