The Conan-Leno news is breaking fast and furious today, in little chunks. Here's what we know so far:
People is reporting that Conan O'Brien will leave "The Tonight Show" after Jan. 22 -- next Friday! "Conan does not currently plan on doing any more new shows after next week," says the source.
NBC claims a hiatus for the show beginning Jan. 25 has been on their books for weeks, before the current feud began.
Meanwhile, TMZ says the deal is down for Jay Leno to return as host of "The Tonight Show," for a full hour beginning at 10:35 p.m.
Hollywood blogger Nikki Finke also reports that tensions between Conan and NBC chief smart guy Jeff Zucker have boiled over:
Zucker "is threatening to ice Conan", according to his reps. "Zucker said, 'I'll keep you off the air for 3 1/2 years.' Which doesn't have a chance in hell of happening. What I really think Zucker wants is to hold him off the market for at least six months to a year until the dust settles and Leno is secure and Conan is squelched." One rep even compared Zucker to "Darth Vader" because the NBCU chief "has been so evil" about this.
Sun-Times columnist Bill Zwecker also spoke today with folks behind the scene and offered this insight on the feud -- which is not necessarily new. Apparently, Conan and his camp have long thought Jay's style was old and busted, and Jay and his camp think Conan is a spoiled, Harvard brat.
So it looks like, at least through next Friday, Conan's got "Tonight" ... because NBC's plans don't include him ... but who needs tomorrow ...?