The University of Chicago Institute of Politics, founded by David Axelrod, former top strategist for President Barack Obama, cuts the ribbon Monday on its new headquarters on campus, a totally refurbished house at 5707 S. Woodlawn.
A stream of political stars have been making their way to the U. of C. IOP in the past months, with more on hand Monday for the morning ribbon cutting and, in the evening, a symposium titled "What's Next for the Republican Party."
Expected at the 11 a.m. CT ribbon cutting ceremony: members of the Institute's Board of Advisors, including: Julian Castro, Stephanie Cutter, Larry Grisolano, Brad Keywell, Bill Kristol, Isaac Lee, Mike Murphy, Beth Myers, Neera Tanden and Howard Wolfson.
On the bill for the 6 p.m. forum on the GOP, moderated by Fox News Sunday host Chris Wallace:
· Haley Barbour, former Republican governor of Mississippi
· Bill Kristol, founder and editor of The Weekly Standard
· Mike Murphy, Republican political consultant
· Beth Myers, former senior advisor to Gov. Mitt Romney
· Ramesh Ponnuru, conservative columnist and senior editor at National Review
Current fellows at the IOP are:
*Former Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour
*Former Obama speechwriter Jon Favreau
*Former Sen. Gary Hart (D-Col.)
*Former Rep. Steve LaTourette (R-Ohio)
*Former Obama Cabinet secretary Chris Lu
*Journalist Bethany McLean