WASHINGTON---The Conclave to pick a new pope starts Tuesday in the Sistine Chapel. Since being a political junkie transcends all faiths, the election of the next pope is fascinating to non-Catholics...and we know in this election, turnout will be 100 percent! The Vatican website HERE has a lot of information on the process and the traditions-such as how the Cardinals dress.
Below, a briefing from the Vatican on what is happening today.....
OFFICE OF LITURGICAL CELEBRATIONS
OF HIS HOLINESS POPE
Tuesday, March 12, 2013, at 16.30, as determined by the General Congregation of Cardinals, will be entering the Conclave and the Oath for the election of the Roman Pontiff, as provided by ' Ordo Rituum Conclavis . The Cardinals Cardinals Voters want be at 16.15 in the Pauline Chapel of the Vatican Apostolic Palace, the First Lodge, wearing a red robe, the spool, the mozzetta and cap.
By Pauline Chapel, the singing of the Litany of the Saints, the Cardinals Voters will head a procession to the Sistine Chapel where, after the singing of the Veni Creator , pronunzieranno the Oath prescribed.
In addition to the Cardinals voters take part in the procession, wearing the dress proper to them:
- Cardinal dictate that meditation
- the Secretary of the Conclave
- The Vice-Camerlengo
- the Auditor General of the Apostolic Chamber
- the Master of Papal Liturgical Celebrations
- two members of the Board of Protonotari Apostolic Number of Participants
- two members of the Board of Prelate Auditors of the Roman Rota
- two members of the Cleric Prelates of the room
- the Secretary of the Cardinal who chairs the Conclave
- papal masters of ceremonies
- the Papal Choir.
They will want to be in the Sala Regia of the Vatican Apostolic Palace, the First Lodge, 16.00.
At 16.00 will have access to the Sistine Chapel the following people:
- The Deputy Secretary of State
- Secretary for Relations with States
- the Prefect of the Papal Household
- the men and women religious involved in the Sacristy
- the priests responsible for the confessions
- the Commander of the Pontifical Swiss Guard.
There will also be the authorized service personnel with a special ticket: Office of Liturgical Celebrations of the Supreme Pontiff, the Papal Swiss Guard, Medical Corps, Floreria, Photographers, Vatican Radio, the Vatican Television Center.
Vatican City, March 9, 2013.
By mandate of the College of Cardinals
Monsignor Guido Marini,
Master of Papal Liturgical Celebrations