Chicago Sun-Times
The scoop from Washington

Herman Cain: "I have never sexually harrased anyone."

| No Comments

WASHINGTON--GOP White House hopeful Herman Cain said he "never sexually harassed anyone" while at the National Restaurant Association but did confirm there was an in-house investigation of his conduct.

Cain is enjoying front-runner status in the crowded 2012 Republican field and as a result, "the bullseye on my back is getting bigger," he told a crowded lunch speech at the National Press Club. The speech, long booked, came as Politico published a story alleging the NRA paid a settlement to workers as a result of harassment charges.

"In all my over 40 years of business experience,...I have never sexually harassed anyone.... At the NRA, I was accused of sexually harrassement. Falsely accused, I might add," he said.

Cain said he recused himself from a probe of the alleged incidents conducted by the NRA.

"I am not aware of a settlement. I hope it is not for much because I did not do anything. ..I have never sexually harrased anyone and those accusations are totally false."

folo me on Twitter: @lynnsweet

My Twitter feeds from the lunch....

#HermanCain #npclunch closed with a gospel-style song, great velvet voice.
2 minutes ago Favorite Reply Delete

"This many white people can't pretend that they like me," #HermanCain #npclunch, asked about the racism in the U.S. today.
10 minutes ago Favorite Reply Delete

#HermanCain #npclunch: "I am not aware of a settlement. . ...I have never sexually harrased anyone and those accusations are totally false."
31 minutes ago Favorite Reply Delete

twitpic.com/78vrk4 - Riffing with no notes: #Herman Cain #npclunch. Wrongly says applause is from reporters.
50 minutes ago Favorite Reply Delete

twitpic.com/78vpuj - After "Todays news stories, really know what its like 2b number 1," #HermanCain #npclunch
53 minutes ago Favorite Reply Delete

twitpic.com/78vl1x - #Hermancain holding "999" cupcake @npc lunch. Cain about to start speaking.
1 hour ago Favorite Reply Delete

twitpic.com/78v8ja - #HermanCain has kid aide, red rope blocking anyone from approaching his side of head table
1 hour ago Favorite Reply Delete

twitpic.com/78v6l9 - #HermanCain gets frontrunner attention before #National Press Club speech. Packed room.
1 hour ago Favorite Reply Delete

#HermanCain COS Mark Block at #NationalPressClub scrum w/ press before speech says Cain don't know nothing about sexual harrassment charges.

Get the Sweet widget

More widgets

Video

Lynn Sweet

Lynn Sweet is a columnist and the Washington Bureau Chief for the Chicago Sun-Times.

Stay in touch

About this Entry

This page contains a single entry by Lynn Sweet published on October 31, 2011 1:15 PM.

Halloween at the White House was the previous entry in this blog.

Obama's physical results: Heart rate 67, blood pressure 107/71 is the next entry in this blog.