I hear William Strong has the ability to pour his own money in to a GOP primary in the contest to replace Rep. Mark Kirk (R-Ill.) in the 10th congressional district. Kirk is running for Senate.
William H. Strong
United States Department of Defense July 2008
Office of the Secretary of Defense Iraq
Requested by the Office of the Secretary of Defense to organize and lead an economic mission to Iraq. Recruited other CEOs in industries important in the early phases of the reconstruction of Iraq. Spent time in Basra, Babil Province and Baghdad. Conferred with the leading Iraqi and U.S. Government officials on approaches by which investments in Iraq by Western companies could be accelerated. Provided advice on improvements to the regulatory and legal framework of Iraq to insure a business-friendly environment. Drafted editorial on trip which was published by the Chicago Tribune in September 2008.
Republican National Convention September 2008 Minneapolis, Minnesota
Served as a delegate to the 2008 Republican National Convention.
Presidential Campaign of Senator John McCain April 2008-November 2008 State of Illinois Finance Chairman
In April 2008, accepted the invitation to serve as the State of Illinois Finance Chairman for the Presidential campaign of Senator John McCain. Effort established a new record for total funds raised in Illinois for a Republican Presidential nominee.
United States Military Academy February 2006 - December 2008
Member of Board of Visitors West Point, New York
Interacted frequently with USMA leadership at West Point and in Washington, DC. Privileged to spend meaningful time with the Cadets in classes and in their military training. Observed and participated in military training in July of 2006, 2007 and 2008.
SUMMARY OF BUSINESS EXPERIENCE
Morgan Stanley January 1993 - Present
Vice Chairman Chicago, Illinois
Throughout thirty year career have developed solutions to solve complex and difficult client problems. This has included being responsible on behalf of clients for numerous mergers, acquisitions, restructurings and divestitures as well as capital raising transactions such as initial public offerings, follow-on equity transactions and high yield and investment grade debt transactions. Selected recent transactions include a $600 million unsecured debt transaction for Harley-Davidson, Inc., the initial public offering for Chicago Mercantile Exchange Holdings, Inc., representing Peoples Energy Corporation in its $2.4 billion merger with WPS Resources Corporation to form Integrys Energy Group, Inc., representing CDW Corporation in its $7.3 billion sale to an affiliate of Madison Dearborn Partners and representing The ServiceMaster Company in its $5.1 billion sale to an affiliate of Clayton, Dubilier & Rice. Throughout career, involved in transactions in over fifteen countries.
Salomon Brothers Inc June 1991 - January 1993
Head of International Investment Banking London, England
Responsible for Salomon Brothers' investment banking activities and offices in Non-Japan Asia, Australia, Canada, Europe, Japan and Latin America. International investment banking included corporate finance, coverage of all financial institutions, infrastructure finance, merger and acquisition advisory activities, all equity and fixed income capital markets functions and real estate finance, and the Firm's activities in connection with privatizations.
Salomon Brothers Inc November 1979 - June 1991
Joint-Head of Global Merger and Acquisition Group New York, New York
Joined the Global Merger and Acquisition Group as an Associate in 1979. Named Managing Director in October 1986. At the time, the youngest person in Salomon Brothers' history to be named a Managing Director in investment banking. Named Joint-Head of Group in 1989. Represented clients in several of the leading transactions of the 1980s.
PriceWaterhouseCoopers LLP July 1976 - November 1979
Upon matriculation from Northwestern University, joined Price Waterhouse & Co. in the Firm's auditing group. Participated in the audits of several large, publicly-traded corporations.
SUMMARY OF SIGNIFICANT NOT-FOR-PROFIT ACTIVITIES
Chicago Symphony Orchestra October 2006 - Present
Life Trustee Chicago, Illinois
Chicago Symphony Orchestra August 2001 - October 2006
Chairman of the Board of Trustees Chicago, Illinois
Chicago Symphony Orchestra October 1994 - August 2001
Trustee Chicago, Illinois
• Reinvigorated the leadership of this world renowned classical music orchestra founded in 1891.
• Stabilized the budget of this $60 million revenue, 100+ personnel organization in spite of the effects resulting from the events of September 11, 2001.
• Successfully lead an international search for a new President.
• In the Fall of 2004, led the negotiation of the first concessionary contract with the orchestra musicians in the history of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra.
• Led international search for new Music Director resulting in Maestro Riccardo Muti being named the orchestra's tenth Music Director in May 2008.
Colgate University November 2000 - November 2004
Hamilton, New York
• Initiated, developed and lead the effort to build a student meeting venue/dance facility to assist in reducing incidence of alcohol abuse on the Colgate campus. This $2.5 million facility, known as The Palace Theater, opened in record time and has been an outstanding success for Colgate and the Village of Hamilton, New York.
• Completed two-year term in the Fall of 2004 as Chairman of the Colgate Society of Families, Colgate's annual parents' fund. The fund set increasing records for fundraising in each of 2003 and 2004.
Newseum, Inc. January 2006 - Present
Member of the Board of Trustees of this not-for-profit museum on Pennsylvania Avenue. The Newseum is dedicated to celebrating the First Amendment of the United States Constitution. The Newseum opened in April 2008. Member of Audit Committee.
SUMMARY OF EDUCATION
Northwestern University September 1974 - June 1976
Received a Master of Business Administration degree in June 1976 with concentrations in Finance and Accounting.
University of Vienna 1972
Received Certificate of Language in 1972.
Purdue University September 1970 - December 1973
West Lafayette, Indiana
Received a Bachelor of Science degree in Industrial Management.
OTHER ACCOMPLISHMENTS AND AFFILIATIONS
• Member of the NASD, Inc.
• Member of the Illinois Business Roundtable.
• Member of The Commercial Club of Chicago, The Economic Club of Chicago and The Chicago Club.
• Certified Public Accountant since November 1975.
• Member of American Institute of Certified Public Accountants and Illinois CPA Society.
• Member of the Dean's Advisory Council for the Krannert School of Management of Purdue University.
• Named one of the top investment bankers in the United States by The Dealmaker in December 2007.
• Recipient of the Civic Achievement Award in February 2008 from the American Jewish Committee.
• Married December 1974 to Sandra J. Sharp.
• Three children - Ryan, aged 30, who completed his third year of law school in the June of 2007 at the Chicago - Kent School of Law in Chicago; Fletcher, aged 27, who completed his third year of law school in June of 2009 at St. John's University in New York and Meredith, aged 22, who completed her senior year of college in May of 2009 at Pepperdine University in Malibu, California.