ST. PAUL, MN--A traditional ballon drop caps off the GOP convention here Thursday night, with John McCain delivering his acceptance speech sometimes after 9 p.m. central.
Click for the detailed schedule.
2008 Republican National Convention Announces Program for Thursday
John McCain to Accept Republican Party's Nomination for President
SAINT PAUL, Minn. - The 2008 Republican National Convention today announced the full program of events for Thursday, Sept. 4. The evening's program will feature John McCain's speech accepting the Republican Party's nomination for the presidency. Among the other speakers participating in this evening's program are Gov. Tim Pawlenty (Minn.), former Gov. Tom Ridge (Penn.), U.S. Sen. Lindsey Graham (S.C.) and Mrs. Cindy McCain. The speakers' remarks will reflect the convention's overall theme, "Country First,"and the theme for Thursday's events, which is "peace." Participants are organized by hour of participation:
5 p.m. to 6 p.m.
* Entertainment (Music): Al Williams
* Entertainment (Monologue): James McEachin
* Call to Order, Introduction of Colors: Republican National Committee Chairman Robert M. "Mike" Duncan
* Presentation of Colors: Fort Snelling Joint Services Color Guards
* Pledge of Allegiance: Olympians Ryan Berube, Mitch Gaylord, Brittany Hayes, Barbra Higgins, Larsen Jensen, Elle Logan, Marcus McElhenney and John Naber
* Singing of the National Anthem: Trace Adkins
* Invocation: His Eminence Archbishop Demetrios
6 p.m. to 7 p.m.
* Speaker: U.S. Rep. Tom Cole (Okla.)
* Speaker: Erik Paulsen
* Speaker: Jay Love
* Speaker: Charlie Summers
* Speaker: Aaron Schock
* Speaker: David Cappiello
* Speaker: U.S. Sen. John Ensign (Nev.)
* Video: "Country First: Peace," with narration by Robert Duvall
* Statement of Rule Regarding Vice Presidential Nomination; Recognition of Delegates Making Motions; and Adoption and Announcement of Nominee: U.S. Sen. Mitch McConnell (Ky.)
* Speaker: Maria Cino, President and CEO of the 2008 Republican National Convention
* Speaker: U.S. Rep. Marsha Blackburn (Tenn.)
* Speaker: The Honorable Rosario Marin
7 p.m. to 8 p.m.
* Speaker: Joe Watkins
* Speaker: U.S. Sen. Mel Martinez (Fla.)
* Speaker: Gov. Tim Pawlenty (Minn.)
* Speaker with Video: Former U.S. Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist (Tenn.)
* Speaker: Lt. Gen. Carol Mutter, USMC (Ret.)
* Speaker: U.S. Sen. Sam Brownback (Kan.)
* Speaker: U.S. Rep. Mary Fallin (Okla.)
* Video: "World Stood Still"
8 p.m. to 9 p.m.
* Speaker: U.S. Sen. Lindsey Graham (S.C.)
* Video: "Vice Presidential Nominee Governor Sarah Palin"
* Speaker: Former Gov. Tom Ridge (Penn.)
* Video: "America's Place in the World"
* Speaker: Mrs. Cindy McCain
9 p.m. to 10 p.m.
* Video: "Senator John McCain"
* Speaker: Presidential Nominee John McCain
10 p.m. to Conclusion
* Floor Demonstration, Balloon Drop, McCain and Palin Families on Stage
* Introduction of Presiding Officer: U.S. House Republican Leader John Boehner (Ohio)
* Benediction: Pastor Dan Yeary
* Introduction of Delegate for Motion, Adoption and Adjournment: U.S. House Republican Leader John Boehner (Ohio)
About the Republican National Convention
The 2008 Republican National Convention will be held at Saint Paul's Xcel Energy Center from Sept. 1-4, 2008. Approximately 45,000 delegates, alternate delegates, volunteers, members of the media and other guests are expected to attend the convention. Minneapolis-Saint Paul is expected to receive an estimated $150-$160 million positive economic boost from the four-day event. For more information about the 2008 Republican National Convention, please visit our website at www.GOPConvention2008.com and join our social network sites on Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, YouTube, and LinkedIn.