WASHINGTON--The Obama campaign's promised offense started early Monday morning, with spot titled "Honor" slamming the McCain team for running smear ads to run on national cable and key states.
Minutes after release of the spot, the Democratic National Committee followed with its "Count the Lies," webpage, a feature of the DNC's "McCainPedia," launched earlier this year.
Honor. See below for the transcript:
V I S U A L A U D I O
BARACK: I'm Barack Obama and I approved this message.
The old John McCain, McCain: I will not take the low road to the highest office in this land.
ANNCR: What's happened to John McCain?
"one of the sleaziest ads...ever seen"
- Time/Klein, 9/10/08
-Washington Post/Dionne, 9/10/08 He's running "the sleaziest ads ever." "Truly vile."
- The New Republic, Orr 9/10/08
"exposed as a lie"
CBS, Benen 9/8/08
"the truth be damned"
-Chicago Tribune, James 9/10/08
"a disgraceful, dishonorable campaign"
-Washington Post/Dionne, 9/12/08 "Dishonest smears"
That he repeats even after its been "exposed as a lie"
"truth be damned"
A "disgraceful, dishonorable campaign."
After voting with Bush 90% of the time...proposing the same disastrous economic policies...
Washington Post, 8/31/08 It seems "deception" is all he has left.
from the McCain campaign
Please see our campaign's response to Barack Obama's latest negative ad entitled "Honor". In the ad, the Obama campaign attempts to change the topic from Senator Obama's failing record by effectively calling John McCain a dishonest liar - ignoring Obama's own previously debunked negative accusations on the campaign trail:
"As Americans face economic uncertainty, it is clear that Barack Obama would sooner hurl insults than discuss his record of seeking higher taxes during a down economy, opposing additional off-shore drilling to reduce energy prices and voting the partisan line nearly 100 percent of the time. This latest ad by Barack Obama is a desperate effort to move away from talking about his thin, but alarming record on the issues, and it isn't going to reform Washington or strengthen our economy." -Tucker Bounds, spokesman McCain-Palin
Barack Obama Will Raise The Capital Gains And Dividend Taxes
Barack Obama Would Raise Capital Gains And Dividend Taxes. "Sen. Obama wants to raise the long-term capital-gains rate for families making more than $250,000 to around 20 percent or somewhat higher but not above the 28 percent level it reached during the Reagan presidency, an Obama economic adviser says. The same rate would apply to most dividend income for these investors." (Tom Herman, "Tax Report Your Tax Bill: How McCain, Obama Differ," The Associated Press, 6/18/08)
· Barack Obama Will Raise The Top Rate Capital Gains Tax To 20%. "The top capital-gains rate for families making more than $250,000 would return to 20% -- the lowest rate that existed in the 1990s and the rate President Bush proposed in his 2001 tax cut. A 20% rate is almost a third lower than the rate President Reagan set in 1986." (Jason Furman and Austan Goolsbee, "The Obama Tax Plan," The Wall Street Journal, 8/14/08)
· Barack Obama Will Raise The Top Rate Capital Gains Tax To 20%. "The tax rate on dividends would also be 20% for families making more than $250,000, rather than returning to the ordinary income rate." (Jason Furman and Austan Goolsbee, "The Obama Tax Plan," The Wall Street Journal, 8/14/08)
· In 2006, Over 26.7 Million U.S. Taxpayers Reported Capital Gains Income. (Internal Revenue Service Website, "Individual Income And Tax Data, By State And Size Of Adjusted Gross Income, Tax Year 2006," www.irs.gov, Accessed 7/30/08)
· In 2006, Over 31.5 Million U.S. Taxpayers Reported Dividend Income. (Internal Revenue Service Website, "Individual Income And Tax Data, By State And Size Of Adjusted Gross Income, Tax Year 2006," www.irs.gov, Accessed 7/30/08)
· Tax Policy Center: Barack Obama Would Raise Taxes On One Out Of Every Three Senior Households. "Even though Senator Obama's plan eliminates individual income taxes for seniors with incomes less than $50,000, his plan would raise taxes for almost 10 million senior households, over a third of the total (not shown in table). On average, seniors would face a tax increase of about 2 percent of income." (Burman et al., "A Preliminary Analysis of the 2008 Presidential Candidates' Tax Plans," The Tax Policy Center, 6/11/08)
· Tax Foundation: Seniors "Rely Most On The Stable Flow Of Income That Dividends Provide." "Most debate over whether to extend the reduced rates on dividends and capital gains has focused on the tax benefits of these cuts to high-income taxpayers. What has been largely ignored is the impact these tax policies have on corporations' decisions on how best to distribute their income to shareholders--including senior citizens, who rely most on the stable flow of income that dividends provide. A recent Tax Foundation analysis illustrated that a large number of those benefiting from dividends are seniors and those on the verge of retirement (See www.taxfoundation.org). A further analysis of these seniors earning dividends reveals that lower-income seniors who file tax returns depend more heavily on dividend income than high-income seniors." (Gerald Prante, "The Importance Of Dividend Income For Low-Income Seniors," Tax Foundation, http://www.taxfoundation.org/news/show/1354.html, 2/8/06)
Barack Obama Will Raise Social Security Taxes
Barack Obama Would Raise Social Security (Payroll) Taxes On Families. "Obama's proposal ... would impose social security taxes on income above $250,000 per year. He would continue to exempt income between $102,000 and $250,000 from social security taxes." (Teddy Davis, Sunlen Miller, and Gregory Wallace, "Obama Kisses Billions Goodbye," ABC News' "Political Radar" Blog, blogs.abcnews.com, 6/18/08)
"[Obama] Wants To Raise Taxes Even Above The Levels Of The Clinton Era, Including A Huge Increase In The Payroll Tax." (Editorial, "The Obama We Don't Know," The Wall Street Journal, 6/4/08)
Barack Obama Has Called For Taxes On Energy
Barack Obama Also Called For A Tax On Coal And Natural Gas. Obama: "What we ought to tax is dirty energy, like coal and, to a lesser extent, natural gas." ("Q&A With Sen. Barack Obama," San Antonio Express-News, 2/19/08)
Barack Obama Called For A Windfall Profits Tax On Oil Companies. Obama: "I think it is appropriate for us to impose a windfall profits tax on our oil companies." (Sen. Barack Obama, Remarks At A Campaign Event, Charlotte, NC, 5/2/08)
Barack Obama Will Raise Income Taxes
Barack Obama Would Raise Income Taxes. Obama: "[I] would roll back the Bush tax cuts for those making over $250,000." (Sen. Barack Obama, CNN Democrat Presidential Candidate Debate, Manchester, NH, 6/3/07)
Barack Obama On Offshore Drilling: "This Is Not Real"
In Springfield, Missouri, Barack Obama Said That Drilling Will Not "Solve Our Problem" And That "It's Not Real." "'If I thought that by drilling offshore we could solve our problem, I'd do it ... This is not real. I know it's tempting. The polls say the majority of Americans think it's one way we'll resolve our problems, but it's not real." (John Whitesides, "Obama, Mccain Duel Over Celebrity Ad, Attacks," Reuters, 7/30/08)
Barack Obama Called Offshore Drilling A "Scheme." Obama: "Now the latest scheme is well, we're going to drill offshore. Now, I want to be absolutely clear to everybody about this. If I thought that I could provide you some immediate relief on gas prices by drilling off the shores of California and New Jersey, I understand how desperate folks are. I met a guy who couldn't go on a job search that lost his job, couldn't go on a job search because of the high price of gas. Just couldn't fill up his tank. I met a teacher in South Dakota who loved her job as a teacher on an Indian reservation, she had to quit because the drive was too far, it was taking up too much of her paycheck. I know how bad people are hurting. So If I thought that by drilling offshore, we could solve our problem, I'd do it." (Sen. Barack Obama, Remarks At Campaign Event, Springfield, MO, 7/30/08)
· Watch Barack Obama Call Offshore Drilling A "Scheme": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9k9138YBKQ
Barack Obama Said That Drilling Was A "Strategy Designed To Get Politicians Through An Election." "Last month, Senator McCain raised more than a million dollars from oil and gas company executives and employees - most of which came after he announced his drilling plan in front of a bunch of oil executives in Houston. This is not a strategy designed to end our energy crisis -- it's a strategy designed to get politicians through an election, and that's exactly why Washington has failed to do anything about our energy dependence for the last 30 years." (Foon Rhee, "More Energy Talk, More Skirmishing," The Boston Globe's "Political Intelligence" Blog, http://www.boston.com, Posted 7/31/08)
Barack Obama Said That Oil Can't Be Retrieved From Offshore Drilling For Ten Years
Barack Obama Said That "We Won't See A Drop Of Oil From This Drilling For Almost 10 Years." "'Instead of offering any real plan to lower gas prices, Sen. McCain touts his support for George Bush's plan for offshore oil drilling,' Obama said Thursday in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. 'But even the Bush administration acknowledges that offshore oil drilling will have little impact on prices. It won't lower prices today. It won't lower prices during the next administration. In fact, we won't see a drop of oil from this drilling for almost 10 years.'" (Mike Glover, "Obama Risks Voter Ire By Opposing New Oil Drilling," The Associated Press, 8/1/08)
· Barack Obama: "We Will Not See A Drop Of Oil From Any Offshore Rigs For At Least Ten Years. We Would Not Have Full Production For Twenty Years." (Barack Obama, Remarks, Cedar Rapids, IA, 7/31/08)
· To See Barack Obama Say Drilling Will Not Produce Oil For Ten Years: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgRsH5xd6OQ
Barack Obama: "This Is A Proposal That Would Only Worsen Our Addiction To Oil." "And just like Senator McCain's gas tax holiday gimmick, this is a proposal that would only worsen our addiction to oil and put off needed investments in clean renewable energy." (Barack Obama, Remarks, Jacksonville, FL, 6/20/08)
Barack Obama: "It Will Take A Generation To Reach Full Production." "Offshore drilling would not lower gas prices today. It would not lower gas prices tomorrow. It would not lower gas prices this year. It would not lower gas prices five years from now. ... It will take a generation to reach full production. And even then, the effect of gas prices will be minimal at best." (Barack Obama, Remarks, Jacksonville, FL, 6/20/08)
Barack Obama Said That Offshore Drilling Will Not Drop Prices At The Pump For At Least Three Administrations. "Obama, facing polls that show most Americans favor lifting the moratorium on new drilling sites, acknowledged the pressure to back the policy. But, he said, it would not yield lower prices at the pump. 'It won't drop prices in this administration, the next administration or the administration after that,' he said. 'Although it won't save you dollars at the pump, I will say it has raised campaign dollars.'" (Thomas Beaumont, "Obama Bites Back At McCain On Energy," Des Moines Register, 8/1/08)