Among them: [via Avert.org]
- People living with HIV/AIDS in 2007: 33.0 million
- More than 25 million people have died of AIDS since 1981.
- Africa has 11.6 million AIDS orphans.
- At the end of 2007, women accounted for 50% of all adults living with HIV worldwide, and for 59% in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Young people (under 25 years old) account for half of all new HIV infections worldwide.
- In developing and transitional countries, 9.7 million people are in immediate need of life-saving AIDS drugs; of these, only 2.99 million (31%) are receiving the drugs.