This cooler weather makes me want to drink Oktoberfest beers and think about the new fall clothes I'm going to buy and hide from my husband. And while none of these shopping events serve beer, they do combine my love of cocktails and fall fashion. So grab your friends and hit one of these free events this week (and let me know what you find!):
1. LAKEVIEW BOUTIQUE PARTY: Blake Standard fall trunk show from 2 to 8 p.m. today, Sept. 18, at Perchance Boutique, 3512 N. Southport in Lakeview. Champagne and light hors d'oeuvres will be served.
This Blake Standard dress is $148 at Perchance Boutique.
2. FASHION SHOW AND FREE MAKEOVERS: Mary Alice Stephenson, Harpers Bazaar contributing editor and former fashion correspondent for E!, CNN and MTV, will be hosting the MasterCard Want It! Trend Cocktail event from 5:30 to 8 pm Friday, Sept. 19, at the Saks Fifth Avenue store, 700 North Michigan. Catch an informal fashion show of the new looks for men and women at Saks, get a complimentary "Polished Face" makeover and enjoy "Want-ini" champagne cocktails and hors d'oeuvres.
3. SPEND WHILE HELPING OTHERS: During Macy's 3rd annual nationwide Shop for a Cause event this Saturday, Sept. 20, if you buy a $5 "shopping pass" that benefits local charities, you get 10 or 20 percent off your purchases. Plus, Macy's is hosting a few events at the 111 N. State location, such as Children's Face Painting from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Kid's Department on the 5th floor, a Sugar Bliss Cupcake Demonstration at noon in the Kid's Department and a performance from the Exelon Strobel Step-Up troupe of the Joffrey Ballet at noon in the handbag area on the 1st floor. (The Step-Up program provides pre-professional opportunities for aspiring high school dancers who would otherwise be unable to afford private dance lessons).
4. MEET CINDY CRAWFORD: Cindy Crawford returns to her hometown of Chicago to launch her new contemporary home furnishing line, Cindy Crawford Home, at 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 21 at The RoomPlace, 2527 N. Elston.
From the Cindy Crawford Home line. So I guess this is
what a supermodel's home looks like.
5. GET DISCOUNTS AND LET ERIC PICK OUT YOUR CLOTHES: Original Penguin (901 N. Rush) will be the home of the latest "Nights of Style" event hosted by Eric Ferguson of the "Eric and Kathy Morning Show" on 101.9 FM The Mix. At the event, from 6 to 8 p.m. Wed., Sept. 24, prizes will be awarded every 15 minutes, and everything in the store will be 25 percent off. Additional goodies will be awarded throughout the night from Motorola, and customers can sample wine from Little Black Dress. If you want to attend, visit www.WTMX.com and register to win VIP passes.