The award for the No. 1 recruiting class in college football for 2010 won't be presented until after the February signing date, of course, but the race for the top spot is well underway and it is apparent that the rich are getting richer and will continue to do so until someone proves that it can do better.
My top 11 proves that the SEC continues to dominate football recruiting. The SEC has five of the top nine spots. The leaders (in order) are Texas, USC, Penn State, Florida, Alabama, Oklahoma, LSU, Tennessee, Georgia, Notre Dame and Michigan.
The sleepers are California, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech and Brigham Young. Oklahoma State could be the only surprise team that could break into the top 10. In the Big 10, it's Penn State, Michigan and Ohio State. So what's new?
Most of the recruiting services appear to be on the same page. Rivals also rates Texas as its No. 1 choice followed by LSU, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Alabama, USC, Florida, Georgia, Texas A&M, Penn State and Notre Dame.
Scout rates Oklahoma No. 1 followed by Texas, Tennessee, Alabama, LSU, Penn State, Georgia, Stanford, Florida and Oklahoma State.
ESPN favors Florida followed by Texas, Georgia, Alabama, Penn State, LSU, Oklahoma, USC, Ohio State and Texas A&M.
Here is how I rate the top 11 at this time:
1. TEXAS: 19 commitments, all Texans. Coach Mack Brown starts early and usually lands most of the top-rated players in Texas before anyone else knocks on their door. This year's crop is headed by DT Taylor Bible and DE Reggie Wilson.
2. USC: 14 commitments. Coach Pete Carroll usually waits until January or February to complete his roster. But this group includes three 5-star players--WR Kyle Prater of Proviso West, WR Robert Woods and TE Xavier Grimble.
3. PENN STATE: 17 commitments. Who says Joe Paterno is too old to recruit? QB Paul Jones and WR Adrian Coxson lead the class.
4. FLORIDA: 15 commitments. Coach Urban Meyer has three 5-star prospects--DB Matt Elam, RB Mack Brown and DB Jonathan Dowling.
5. ALABAMA: 21 commitments. QB Phillip Sims and CB Demarcus Milliner are 5-star players.
6. OKLAHOMA: 23 commitments. LB Justin McCay and QB Blake Bell are the headliners.
7. LSU: 22 commitments. The list is headed by WR Mike Davis.
8. TENNESSEE: 21 commitments. DT Brandon Willis, DE Bruce Irvin and DE Jacques Smith are 5-star prospects. Two Illinois recruits, WR Matt Milton of Mascoutah and OT Zach Fulton of Homewood-Flossmoor, also are standouts.
9. GEORGIA: 18 commitments. The list includes a pair of 5-star players--DT Garrison Smith and DB Alec Ogletree.
10. (tie) NOTRE DAME: 15 commitments. DE Chris Martin is a 5-star prospect. The list also includes two Chicago area stars--OL Christian Lombard of Fremd and QB Tommy Rees of Lake Forest.
MICHIGAN: 18 commitments. QB Devin Gardner is the headliner.