December 2008 Archives

Rezko sentencing off again

| | Comments (1) | TrackBacks (0)

Tony Rezko may have seen the train leaving without him and wanted to jump back on.
His sentencing is off again as it appears the businessman is talking again with authorities about alleged misconduct under Gov. Blagojevich's administration.
The back and forth concerning Rezko's sentencing happened as Rezko grew tired of being locked up in solitary confinement. Rezko demanded to be sentenced immediately even though he hadn't yet signed on to a cooperation agreement with the government.

But he apparently reconsidered following last week's revelation that Gov. Blagojevich was recorded for six weeks and that a member of his inner circle, John Wyma, was also talking to the feds. There is no future sentencing date set and there is no status in Rezko's case until next year.

Rezko to be sentenced in 5 1/2 weeks

| | Comments (5) | TrackBacks (0)

In August, he was the clandestine informant, secretly leaving his jail cell to meet with prosecutors and give them information.
In October, lawyers asked to indefinitely put off his sentencing.
Today, things changed.
Political fund-raiser Tony Rezko is now weeks away from being sentenced.
This morning, Judge Amy St. Eve set a Jan. 6 sentencing date and prosecutors did not object. Later this month, prosecutors and defense lawyers will file papers to argue what kind of sentence Rezko should receive.
Rezko's lawyers wouldn't comment on Rezko's discussions with federal prosecutors.
But sources say Rezko has grown frustrated with his current accommodations -- solitary confinement and the prosecution's apparent unwillingness to push for his release on electronic monitoring.
At a second hearing this morning, a prosecutor said she was producing additional discovery in the second case against Rezko and a business partner -- one involving loan fraud and his personal pizza business. That case, before Judge James Zagel, is supposed to go to trial next year, but today, one defense lawyer said he might have a conflict in early February.
Lawyers will discuss the trial schedule at a status set for December.

Natasha Korecki

Natasha Korecki is the Federal Courts Reporter for the Chicago Sun-Times, covering federal news, corruption investigations and trials.

About this Archive

This page is an archive of entries from December 2008 listed from newest to oldest.

November 2008 is the previous archive.

February 2009 is the next archive.

Find recent content on the main index or look in the archives to find all content.

Pages