Governor not worried about Rezko

| | Comments (4) | TrackBacks (0)

A day after prosecutors revealed his former adviser and fund-raiser is in talks with them, Gov. Blagojevich says he isn't worried.

Blagojevich pointed to a letter Tony Rezko wrote to U.S. District Judge Amy St. Eve earlier this year saying he was under pressure to say "the wrong things" about Blagojevich and Democratic Presidential nominee Barack Obama.
"Tony Rezko sent a letter to a judge. In that letter, he expressly states neither Sen. Obama nor I did anything wrong," Blagojevich told reporters this morning.
"That letter is a pretty strong statement. It speaks for itself."
Shortly after the letter was publicized, Rezko's lawyers said Rezko had never spoken to prosecutors.
That changed following Rezko's June conviction on corruption charges.
If Rezko does cut a deal with the feds, that letter -- sent to a federal judge -- will no doubt haunt him as a witness.
As we reported in an earlier story, it isn't necessarily a deal breaker.
Former prosecutor Zachary Fardon noted in a June 16th story Scott Fawell, former chief of staff to Gov. George Ryan, wrote a similar letter, saying he wouldn't make up lies about Ryan.
Fawell was the star witness in Ryan's trial.
"Do I think he could effectively be crossed on this letter? Yes," Fardon said. "Does that mean they can't call him or use him [as a witness]? No."

0 TrackBacks

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: Governor not worried about Rezko.

TrackBack URL for this entry: http://blogs.suntimes.com/cgi-bin/mt-tb.cgi/15592

4 Comments

Blagojevich pointed to a letter Tony
uggs outletRezko wrote to U.S. District Judge Amy St. Eve earlier this year saying he was under pressure to say "the wrong things" about Blagojevich and Democratic Presidential nominee Barack Obama.
"Tony Rezko sent a letter to a judge. In that letter, he expressly states neither Sen. Obama nor I did anything wrong," Blagojevich told reporters this morning.
"That letter is a pretty strong statement. It speaks for itself."
Shortly after the letter was publicized, Rezko's lawyers said Rezko had never spoken to prosecutors.
That changed following Rezko's June conviction on corruption charges.
If Rezko does cut a deal with theugg outlet feds, that letter -- sent to a federal judge -- will no doubt haunt him as a witness.
As we reported in an earlier story, it isn't necessarily a deal breaker.
Former prosecutor Zachary Fardon noted in a June 16th story Scott Fawell, former chief of staff to Gov. George Ryan, wrote a similar letter, saying he wouldn't make up lies about Ryan.
Fawell was the star witness in Ryan's trial.
"Do I think he could effectively be crossed on this letter? Yes," Fardon said. "Does that mean they can't call him or use him [as a witness]? No."

I believe otherwise. Rezko, like so many of the Governments Pawns will pay his price for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. He needs to close his mouth, Stop putting anything in writing an serve HIS time for what HE chose to do for the love of MONEY

Rezko lied to the judge...big deal. He has played his cards well, if and when Obama gets elected he will pardon Rezko, fire Patrick Fitzgerald and it will rain money on Mayor Daley and the Chicago Combine for the next 8 years.

Any ideas why the Hurtgen trial, set to start nov. 5th, has been put off? Is it true?

Leave a comment


Type the characters you see in the picture above.

Natasha Korecki

Natasha Korecki is the Federal Courts Reporter for the Chicago Sun-Times, covering federal news, corruption investigations and trials.

About this Entry

This page contains a single entry by Natasha Korecki published on October 7, 2008 2:07 PM.

Feds checking out Rezko's story was the previous entry in this blog.

Judge agrees to move Rezko sentencing is the next entry in this blog.

Find recent content on the main index or look in the archives to find all content.

Pages