Rezko trial: Marshals told to bring Rezko to Vegas

| | Comments (1) | TrackBacks (0)

Here's more specifics on the charges he faces in Vegas ...

By Natasha Korecki
Federal Courts Reporter/nkorecki@suntimes.com

With the jury still out deliberating corruption charges against him in Chicago, Tony Rezko is facing fresh criminal charges in Las Vegas for allegedly failing to pay $450,000 in gambling debts.
Rezko faces two counts of drawing or passing a check with insufficient funds, Clark County District Attorney David Roger said.
“We have notified the marshals we have a warrant for his arrest,” Roger said. “They will execute the warrant at the appropriate time.”
In all liklihood, if Rezko is convicted and detained, authorities in Las Vegas will put a detainer on him so he later transferred to Nevada. If he is acquitted in the Chicago case, he will face extradition for the Nevada charges.
According to his warrant, Rezko owes $450,000 in gambling debts to Caesars Palace and Bally’s Hotel Casino that he allegedly racked up between March and July of 2006. Rezko’s allegedly tried to back up his gambling with markers on his account, but it had insufficient funds, Roger said. Insufficient funds in varying amounts, from $15,000 to $120,000 were drawn against his account at Broadway Bank, according to Rezko’s warrant.
Rezko owed a total of more than $800,000, but Bellagio LLC obtained a judgment of default against Rezko in 2007 for not repaying $331,000 in gambling markers, court records show.
Sources say federal authorities in Chicago were notified of the new warrant earlier this week.
U.S. Attorney spokesman Randall Samborn would not comment and neither would Rezko’s attroneys.
It appeared lawyers in Rezko’s Chicago case met in the judge’s chambers this morning. Rezko lawyer Joseph Duffy left without comment.
Rezko, 52, of Wilmette, a fund-raiser to both Gov. Blagojevich and Presidential hopeful Barack Obama, is accused of scheming with Stuart Levine to take kickbacks from firms seeking state business.

0 TrackBacks

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: Rezko trial: Marshals told to bring Rezko to Vegas.

TrackBack URL for this entry: http://blogs.suntimes.com/cgi-bin/mt-tb.cgi/9453

1 Comments

This of course points out that 'BO" has been hooked up with some extremely reckless money supporters. Any chance, of finding House tape of 'BO' shooting craps with him in Vegas?

Leave a comment


Type the characters you see in the picture above.

Natasha Korecki

Natasha Korecki is the Federal Courts Reporter for the Chicago Sun-Times, covering federal news, corruption investigations and trials.

About this Entry

This page contains a single entry by Natasha Korecki published on May 29, 2008 12:25 PM.

Feds made aware of new Rezko warrant was the previous entry in this blog.

Anticipation is killing us is the next entry in this blog.

Find recent content on the main index or look in the archives to find all content.

Pages