Reviewing week four...
Sorry this is a day late. I had a rare in-season day off yesterday.
Parity is the name of the game so far this season. The rankings have been very tough to do. There are about 50 teams that can all beat each other on any given night, so a lot of teams are getting screwed in the rankings. St. Patrick, Fenwick, Leo, De La Salle, Hales, Homewood-flossmoor, New Trier, North Lawndale, Huntley, Jacobs, Crystal Lake South, Oswego East, Hersey, Buffalo Grove, Schaumburg, Fremd, Hoffman Estates, Conant, Zion-Benton, Englewood, Farragut, Stagg, Neuqua Valley, West Aurora, Oak Park and York are all as good as most of the teams in the Super 25, I just don't have the space for everyone.
Hopefully things will sort themselves out a bit during the holiday tournaments.
1. Simeon: Didn't play. Grudge match Thursday with Morgan Park.
2. Marshall: Will be tested tonight with Farragut. If Mike Dunigan steps up, Marshall doesn't have anyone that can handle him in the post.
3. Loyola: Overrated right now, just because everyone else keeps losing. #3 is pretty high when you haven't beaten a ranked team, but they looked good against Hales and 10-0 is impressive. We should learn a lot Saturday againt New Trier.
4. Proviso East: The Pirates have earned their slot, playing one of the toughest schedules in the area so far.
5. Hillcrest: Ditto for the Hawks, but Justin Taylor is a huge loss. He's a great rebounder and was the one guy on the team that could get to the basket.
6. T.F. North: Big test against Leo on Wednesday. The Meteors are undefeated, with a nice win over Washington.
7. Von Steuben: Looked great on Saturday at Hillcrest, but the Panthers haven't been tested and have only played three games.
8. Washington: Huge win over H-F. The Ticket stepped up and got them a big win in overtime.
9. St. Joseph: If Turner isn't playing the entire game at a very high level, the Chargers are very vulnerable.
10. Thornwood: They've underachieved so far and I probably have them a little too high, but I have faith. These are the same players and it's the same system that finished fourth in the state last season, against a much stronger field than we have right now.
11. Young: A win over Lincoln Park tonight will catapult the Dolphins into the elite.
12. Curie: Everyone is raving about the Condors. Time to prove it.
13. Lincoln Park: What is going on? How do they lose at Evanston? It's gut-check time. There is too much talent on this team to be losing those kind of games. At Chicago State, the Lions showed everyone how good they should be every night. This team should be in the top five all season long. Anything less is a severe disappointment.
14. Batavia: The Bulldogs are overrated. They are just squeaking by against Western Sun opponents. Still, undefeated is undefeated.
15. Proviso West: Without Byron Woods, the Panthers are probably too tiny to go deep into their own holiday tournament. He has a hamstring problem. Hopefully it will be ready to go next week.
16. Richards: I'm not sold on them yet. Looked terrible one half, great the other.
17. Bloom: They should join Lincoln Park in some kind of team therapy. There is too much talent on this team to play as awful as they did in the second half against Richards. Point guard Jamal Daniel is the key to this team. He's occasionally terrific and often infuriating. He needs to mature quickly for them to make a run at the Dipper title. The Blazing Trojans have as much talent and size as any team in the state, including Simeon and Marshall.
18. Thornton: How high would the Cats be ranked if they had beaten Conant? Probably top five. They've got size, shooters and capable ball-handlers. Probably very underrated right now.
19. Lake Park: I still haven't seen the Lancers. Sorry.
20. Hinsdale Central: Ditto.
21. Glenbard East: I haven't seen them yet either, but geez, a 20-point win over West Aurora.
22. Morgan Park: It will be impressive if they can even give Simeon a scare.
23. Warren: They spent the first two weeks of the season blowing everyone out, then dropped one to Mundelein. We will find out how good they are at Pontiac.
24. Crane: The loss at home to North Lawndale is not as bad as it looks. The Phoenix have tons of talent and are very well coached.
25. Evanston: Kudos for beating Lincoln Park. The Wildkits have already played 13 games, losing only to Thornton, Oak Park and Crane.