Sandack held the lead in an unofficial poll posted on this blog. He is one of two Illinois House Republicans who has announced he would support a gay marriage bill when it is called for a vote.
"After much contemplation and discussion with several Republican activists, I am withdrawing my name from future consideration," Sandack said in a statement. I look forward to working hard with the new chairman and together focusing on rebuilding a Republican brand. As I have stated several times, we must be more inclusive to revive and revitalize our party."
So who does that leave in the running?
- Jack Dorgan from the Northwest suburbs.
- Angel Garcia from Cook County -- President of Chicago Young Republicans
- Jim Nalepa
- Cook County Commissioner Tim Schneider
- Mark Shaw Lake County lawyer active in politics up North.
- Don Tracy brother-in-law to Jil Tracy, a state rep from Quincy.
- Joe Walsh one-term suburban Tea Party Congressman
- Lori Yokoyama - failed Cook County State's Attorney candidate.