From Hot Writers to Chicago Runners to Music to Theatre, it’s been a banner year here at the Our Town Sun Times Blog. In fact, so many important things have happened in 2012 we’re finding it hard to compile a comprehensive list. Still, when you’re a high paid blogger (Pause. Beat. Wait for laugh), you’ve no choice but to deliver the goods. So we’ve done our best to sift through the events of 2012 and highlight those that truly represent this unique year.
The Top Ten Most Important Events of 2012
1. Monica Lewinski alleges she had nine sexual encounters with our president, Bill Clinton.
2. Milli Vanilli’s (Fab Morvan and Rob Pilatus) Grammy is revoked after it’s revealed that the lead vocals on their record were not the actual voices of Morvan and Pilatus.
3. The fall of the Berlin Wall paves the way for German reunification.
4. George Michael is arrested for "engaging in a lewd act" in a public toilet in a park in Beverly Hills, California.
5. Jennifer Aniston and Brad Pitt release a joint statement announcing their separation which says in part “for those who follow these sorts of things, we would like to explain that our separation is not the result of any speculation reported by the tabloid media. This decision is the result of much thoughtful consideration.”
6. The first in the Harry Potter Series is released. Potter mania ensues.
7. American Apparel, a unique clothing manufacturer committed to being profitable without exploiting its workers, opens. No exploitation here, clearly.
8. Michael Jordan announces his retirement from the Chicago Bulls.
9. After skater Nancy Kerrigan is struck in the knee with a metal baton, her rival Tonya Harding is convicted of conspiracy to hinder prosecution and banned from figure skating for life.
10. The Soviet Union launches Sputnik ushering in new political, military, technological, and scientific developments.
I don't know about you, but I'm hoping 2013 will bring changes as singular and startling. For example, maybe Britney Spears will do something unprecedented like shave her head! Nah....