It wasn't too long ago that the professional kitchen was largely the domain of the male chef, with just a few exceptions. But female chefs have been making their talents felt of late, with tons of award-winning toques among their ranks. The 14th annual Girl Food Dinner at West Town Tavern, May 16, celebrates those accomplishments while benefiting a worthy cause: The Greater Chicago Food Depository.
Some of the Chicago area's top female chefs, will participate, including:
- Karen Armijo, Gary Comer Youth Center (crispy oyster BLT)
- Nadia Tilkian, Maijean (poached halibut in pho broth with rice noodles)
- Jackie Shen, Red Light (pomegranate-plum glazed duck salad)
- Stephanie Izard, Girl & the Goat (crisp smoked goat ravioli with green garlic jus)
- Susan Goss, West Town Tavern (braised wagyu beef short rib with morels, black pepper grits, truffle and pickled lemon)
- Jessie Oloroso, Black Dog Gelato (olive oil gelato sundae with caramelized almonds and sea salt)
Purchase tickets ($150) here.