First, start by tuning in some free music via iTunes. The festival, as they do each year, has uploaded a 15-song sampler, available for free download (the magic code: PRWFPJAH4LR6). Here's the wide-reaching track list, culled from bands being spotlighted at this year's fest:
* ALBERTA CROSS – "The Thief & The Heartbreaker"
* BON IVER – "Skinny Love"
* CONSTANTINES – "Trans Canada"
* DEERHUNTER – "Nothing Ever Happened"
* ERIC CHURCH – "Smoke a Little Smoke"
* FLEET FOXES – "Mykonos"
* JOE PUG – "Hymn #101"
* LANGHORNE SLIM – "Rebel Side of Heaven"
* LIVING THINGS – "Oxygen"
* RYE RYE – "Bang"
* THE HENRY CLAY PEOPLE – "You Can Be Timeless"
* THE KNUX – "Fire (Put It In the Air)"
* THE RAVEONETTES – "Dead Sound"
* WHITE LIES – "Farewell to the Fairground"
If that helps you make some decisions about which bands you want to see, your next step is to download the Lollapalooza iPhone app. The app not only lists the full festival schedule, it allows you to flag the bands you plan to see, charting a course through the lineup so you won't miss a beat. There are artist bios and music here, too.