Despite what this year's "Top Chef" has shown us, culinary students can make pretty darn good food. And since these budding chefs are still learning, they're usually happy to have anyone sample their fare - which is why cooking schools have long been known as prime spots to score gourmet meals at casual prices.
Kendall College's Monday Night Dining Series continues this trend: For the next five weeks, diners will be able to taste "ethnic neighborhood" cuisine from five different regions (in order: Mexico, Poland, Southeast Asia, Greece, Indian) for just $38 each meal. That price gets you five courses plus non-alcoholic beverages, and it includes sales tax.
Dinners are BYOB, and seating begins at 6:30 p.m. The Dining Room is at 900 N. North Branch. Call (312) 752-2328 or visit the Web site for reservations.
• Chicken Sopes with Salsa Verde
• Posole Soup with Crisp Tortillas
• Salad of Mixed Greens, Cactus & Roasted Corn
• Roasted Pork Loin with Mole Manchamanteles
• Mexican Chipotle Brownie, Mango Ice Cream and Crunchy Tuile with Mexican