By Sun-Times education reporter Lauren FitzPatrick
The Board approved the proposals of two new charter schools, one alternative contract school and one contract-to-charter conversion, all of which will open in September 2013:
• Charters - Chicago Collegiate Charter School and Intrinsic School
• Alternative contract - Camelot
• Contract-to-charter conversion - Frazier Preparatory Academy
At the request of CEO Byrd-Bennett, the Board deferred votes on the proposals of two charter schools, Orange and Foundations Academy, so the CEO can have additional time to review these proposals.
Additionally, the Board approved the expansion of grade levels at these schools starting in fall 2013:
- • Rickover Naval Academy High School, requesting to add grades seven and eight
- • Marine Military Math and Science Academy, requesting to add grades seven and eight
- • Disney II Magnet School, requesting to add grades nine through 12
New charter and contract schools approved by the Board do not have designated locations at this time, and will not be given any facilities that may be closed or consolidated as part of CPS' efforts to right-size the District. Byrd-Bennett recently has said that CPS will work with new charter operators to locate facilities in areas that are experiencing overcrowding in addition to those that are in need of high-quality school options.