below, from the Chicago NATO Summitt Host Committee.....
CHICAGO'S CULINARY CROSSROADS' BRINGS INTERNATIONAL AND HOST CHEFS TO CHICAGO PUBLIC SCHOOLS ON WEDNESDAY, MAY 2, 2012
WHAT: Chicago's Culinary Crossroads, a dine-around initiative developed by the Illinois Restaurant Associationto celebrate the nations represented during the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) Summit,welcome leading international chefs to Chicago the first week of May. Each will be paired with a host chef to develop special culinary programming at restaurants citywide. *Each chef and his host will also visit Chicago Public School students to talk about their career paths and cuisines to increase students' cultural knowledge of NATO nations.
WHEN: Wednesday, May 2from 9 to 11:30 a.m.
Neal F. Simeon Career Academy - 8147 S. Vincennes Avenue; Chicago, IL
DETAILS: With the support of sponsor and internationally-renowned law firm, DLA Piper, all visiting chefs and their hostswill visit and interact withnearly 80 high school students studying culinary arts in Chicago Public Schools, including schools participating in the ProStart® program. Represented Chicago Public Schools will include Simeon, Dunbar, Harper, Corliss, and Southside Occupational Academy.
The chefs will participate in a 45-minute panel discussion with the students to provide a perspective about the cuisine and culture of their countries. Chefs will speak about their career paths, the history of their country's cuisine and highlight the most traditional dishes and the importance food plays in influencing their country's culture. After the panel discussion, students will break out into small groups to prepare and present a variety of menu items representing each country. Chefs will provide feedback and input on the students' techniques and dishes. These events will broaden the students' understanding of global cultures and cuisines.
ProStart® is the Illinois Restaurant Association Educational Foundation's two-year, career building culinary arts and foodservice program for high school students. ProStart® unites the classroom and industry to develop the best and brightest talent into our future restaurant and foodservice industry leaders.
CHEFS: Internationally renowned chefs and their hosts include:
• Chef David Colcombe of Opus Restaurant in Birmingham, UK (paired with Chef Dirk Flanigan of Henri/The Gage)
• Chef Jason Bangerter of LUMA in Toronto, Canada (paired with Chef Tony Priolo of Piccolo Sogno)
• Chef José Luis Estevan Mataixof Millesimein Madrid, Spain(paired with Chef John Hogan of Keefer's)
• Chef Martins Ritins of Vincent's Restaurant in Riga, Latvia (paired with Chef Brandon Wolff of the Signature Room at the 95th)
• Chef Eros Picco of Innocenti Evasioni from Milan, Italy (paired with Chef Federico Comacchio of Phil Stefani's 437 Rush)
• Chef Tommy Rikhard Raanti of Gastronomisk Institutt in Stavanger, Norway (paired with Chef Dean Zanella of Rhapsody)
Click here for all international chef bios.
OPPS: Visual and interview opportunities include:
• Capture visuals of student/chef interaction (speaking, cooking together, etc.)
• Interviews with representatives from the Illinois Restaurant Association and the Illinois Restaurant Association Educational Foundation
• Interviews with representatives from the NATO Host Committee
• Interviews with a representative from Chicago Public Schools
• Interviews with visiting and host chefs
• Interviews with Chicago Public School students
SPONSORS: Chicago's Culinary Crossroads would not be possible without the generous support of the Illinois Restaurant Association; DLA Piper; Hyatt Regency Chicago; World Business Chicago; Chicago 2012 - The Global Crossroads; the Delice Network; and Illinois. Mile After Magnificent Mile.
PARTNERS: Southern Wine & Spirits of Illinois is the exclusive wine and spirits partner to Chicago's Culinary Crossroads.
WEBSITE: For more information about Chicago's Culinary Crossroads, visit www.chicagosculinarycrossroads.org.