After first announcing that the Flaming Lips would close out this year's Pitchfork Music Festival on Sunday, July 19, by following the same "Write the Night" format that the bands are adhering to on opening night, July 17, the concert's promoters then did an about-face and said the Lips wouldn't be taking online requests from fans after all.
Now the long-running psychedelic rockers-turned-postmodern circus act have changed their minds and WILL be taking fans' requests -- at least for part of the set list. (Sources tell me that the blame for all of this confusion belongs neither to the band nor Pitchfork's promoters, but to a booking agent in the middle. Hey, isn't indie-rock supposed to be about simple and direct communication between bands and fans?)
The Pitchfork press release reads:
Due to popular demand, The Flaming Lips will play selected requests from fans in the "Write the Night" format. All ticket buyers, including those who have already purchased, will be sent a link via email and have the chance to vote on requests, which the band will do their best to accommodate.
"The Lips are more than glad to be part of 'Write the Night'. They will do their best to accommodate the wildest and most obscure of requests - covers included." -- Wayne Coyne
Ticket buyers can go online and "Write the Night" by voting for the set list of their dreams for the bands performing on Friday night as well. Friday's performers include Built to Spill, Tortoise, Yo La Tengo and the Jesus Lizard. The ballot boxes are open until June 12. Those who have already purchased a ticket but have yet to vote should be sure to check their purchase confirmation email for a link to the polls.
Thanks, Wayne! I already cast my ballot in the second of the earlier posts on this confusing flip-flop, but I'll tack it on again after the jump if readers don't want to bother clicking through.
Three-day passes for the festival are now sold out, but two-day passes and individual day passes are still available via www.pitchforkmusicfestival.com.
My dream Flaming Lips set list:
1. "Jesus Shootin' Heroin" (from "Hear It Is," 1986)
2. "Everything's Explodin'" ("Oh My Gawd!!!... The Flaming Lips," 1987)
3. "Chrome-Plated Suicide" ("Telepathic Surgery," 1987)
4. "Shine On Sweet Jesus" ("In a Priest Driven Ambulance," 1990)
5. "Unconsciously Screaming" ("In a Priest Driven Ambulance," 1990)
6. "Five Stop Mother Superior Rain" ("In a Priest Driven Ambulance," 1990)
7. "Hit Me Like You Did the First Time" ("Hit to Death in the Future Head," 1992)
8. "Frogs" ("Hit to Death in the Future Head," 1992)
9. "Turn It On" ("Transmissions from the Satellite Heart," 1993)
10. "Pilot Can at the Queer of God" ("Transmissions from the Satellite Heart," 1993)
11. "Psychiatric Explorations of the Fetus with Needles" ("Clouds Taste Metallic," 1995)
12. "Kim's Watermelon Gun" ("Clouds Taste Metallic," 1995)
13. "The Captain is a Cold-Hearted and Egotistical Fool" (outtake from "The Soft Bulletin," 1999)
14. "Waitin' for a Superman" ("The Soft Bulletin," 1999)
15. "Pompeii am Götterdämmerung" ("At War with the Mystics," 2006)