Hard to believe it’s almost July—the mid point for 2008—but that can only mean one thing: IT’S TIME FOR A LIST!
Here are my choices for the Best Albums of 2008… so far.
1. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, "Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!!" (Anti-)
2. Weezer, “Weezer” (Geffen)
3. Local H, “12 Angry Months” (Shout! Factory)
4. Gnarls Barkley, “The Odd Couple” (Atlantic)
5. Lupe Fiasco, “The Cool” (Atlantic)**
6. Tim Fite, “Fair Ain’t Fair” (Anti-)
7. Saul Williams, “The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of Niggy Tardust” (Fader) ++
8. The Black Angels, “Directions to See a Ghost” (Light in the Attic)
9. Portishead, “Third” (Mercury)
10. Flight of the Conchords, “Flight of the Conchords” (Sub Pop)
** Yes, I know Lupe’s second disc is arguably a 2007 release. But in its infinite wisdom (or lack thereof), Atlantic officially issued it on Dec. 18 last year, where it was thoroughly lost and quickly forgotten. It’s an outstanding effort nonetheless, and I’d argue that it’s only really started to make an impact in 2008 as Lupe has toured with Kanye West.
++ Originally issued as a pay-what-you-think-it’s-worth download last November; now getting its official CD release on July 8.