You might not agree with me, but...
1. I didn't see Mount Carmel's 1950 football team, which some say was the best in state history, but no team impressed me more than Bloom's 1957 team that featured Leroy Jackson.
2. There is no more picturesque atmosphere to watch a football game on a Saturday afternoon in the autumn that Glenbard West in Glen Ellyn. Norman Rockwell should have painted the scene.
3. I haven't been to Ohio State but I've been to Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin and Purdue and the Big Ten doesn't compare to the SEC when it comes to generating fan electricity at football games.
4. I'm not a big hockey fan but there is nothing more exciting than the Stanley Cup finals--not the NBA or NFL or World Series or Final Four. Nothing but non-stop action and no fighting.
5. I'm not a big football (soccer) fan, either, but I didn't miss a second of the Manchester United/Chelsea duel for the European Champions League title. Who said soccer was boring?
6. Since Michael Jordan left the Bulls, I haven't bothered to watch many NBA games until the playoffs begin. Sorry, but until they get serious, I don't get serious about the games.
7. If the Bulls don't draft Derrick Rose, they will continue to drift around the NBA like a rudderless ship. What did they lack last year? Leadership. There is no substitute for great leadership.
8. Assuming lineman Marcus Hall will choose Ohio State instead of Illinois, the next great recruit to be signed by Illinois coach Ron Zook will be (take your pick) defensive end Craig Drummond of Morgan Park, wide receiver Kraig Appleton or Terry Hawthorne of East St. Louis, defensive back Justin Green of Louisville, Ky., or running back Ronnie Wingo of St. Louis.