After hearing someone I never heard of predict on national television that Notre Dame football coach Charlie Weis will be bought out of his 10-year contract for $15 million after the Irish finish 6-6 in 2008, I figured I might as well make a fool out of myself by making some outrageous New Year predictions of my own.
1. For whatever reasons, the Player of the Year in football in the Chicago area won't be defensive end Craig Drummond of Morgan Park, running back Mike Trumpy of Wheaton North, quarterback Evan Watkins of Glenbard North or quarterback Charlie Goro of Maine South.
2. The four-class basketball format will play to better critical reviews than anticipated.
3. No Chicago Public League team will win a state title in boys basketball.
4. With the endorsement of Illinois coach Bruce Weber, Champaign-Urbana will launch a serious, well-organized and well-funded campaign to bring the boys state basketball tournament back from Peoria.
5. The Player of the Year in boys basketball will be point guard Kevin Dillard of Homewood-Flossmoor.
6. Former Driscoll football coach Tim Racki, now head coach at Nazareth, will be named head coach at Evanston.
7. In the wake of an embarrassing number of transfers before the 2008-09 school year, the Illinois High School Association will announce a drastic course of action in a desperate attempt to bring sanity to a controversial issue that has soared out of control.
8. The best girls basketball player in Illinois is sophomore Tricia Liston of Fenwick.
9. Driscoll will not win an eighth state football title in a row.
10. Coach Tony Martinucci will guide Morton's boys basketball team to 20 victories for the first time since 1945.