The two big ones are still out there, uncommitted, enjoying visits and making coaching staffs and fans of a select few college basketball programs swoon over them. When you're Whitney Young's Jahlil Okafor and Curie's Cliff Alexander, you can afford to take your time, make everyone wait for your decision and enjoy the ride.
There always seems to be a new twist or turn in the Alexander sweepstakes, but the consistency of Kansas being the school to beat has remained a constant. Will that last official visit to Champaign and the University of Illinois in late October turn the tide for a program that is in position to win big with Alexander on campus for the 2014-2015 season? Can Michigan State end its 0-for-Illinois run? Can DePaul pull off a shocker? What if Okafor commits to Kansas first?
With Okafor, the two big visits are coming up: This weekend at Kansas and the following weekend at Duke. The Hoops Report puts the KU-Duke race at 51/49, though it's not sure which one to put at 51. That's how close this one is coming down the stretch as Okafor and Minnesota star prep point guard Tyus Jones continue to gauge the landscape at both schools as they look to play together.
With Okafor and Alexander still on the board, along with a host of others (the Hoops Report highlighted the top unsigned prospects in Illinois in this blog), it's time to get a rundown of all those who have committed. There are 28 Division I commitments in the Class of 2014 and well on our way to 45-plus. Among those 28 verbal commitments, 11 will sign with programs in high-major conferences.
As we head towards signing day in November, here is a look at the list of up-to-date Division I basketball commitments in the Class of 2014 from around Illinois.
• Ore Arogundade, 6-2, St. Viator ... Drake
• Darius Austin, 6-5½, Cahokia ... UMKC
• Larry Austin, 6-1, Springfield Lanphier ... Tennessee
• Marcus Bartley, 6-4, Decatur MacArthur ... Saint Louis
• Keita Bates-Diop, 6-7, Normal (U-High) ... Ohio State
• C.J. Carr, 5-6, Rock Island ... SIUE
• Jevon Carter, 6-2, Proviso East ... West Virginia
• Gage Davis, 6-3, Bolingbrook ... IPFW
• Justin Diecker, 6-9, Freeburg ... Kennesaw State
• Amanze Egekeze, 6-7, Huntley ... Belmont
• Michael Finke, 6-9, Champaign Centennial ... Illinois
• Armon Fletcher, 6-6, Edwardsville ... Southern Illinois
• Ethan Happ, 6-7½, Rockridge (Taylor Ridge) ... Wisconsin
• Malek Harris, 6-7, Sandburg ... Marquette
• Jalen Henry, 6-6, Springfield Southeast ... SIUE
• Vic Law, 6-7, St. Rita ... Northwestern
• Scott Lindsey, 6-6, Fenwick ... Northwestern
• JayQuan McCloud, 6-2, North Chicago ... Murray State
• Josh Meier, 6-6, Richards ... Chicago State
• Tai Odiase, 6-8, Homewood-Flossmoor ... UIC
• Sean O'Mara, 6-9, Benet Academy ... Xavier
• T.J. Parham, 6-4, Marian Catholic ... Army
• C.J. Rivers, 6-2, Cahokia ... Drake
• Brock Stull, 6-3, Rockford Boylan ... UW-Milwaukee
• Donte Thomas, 6-5½, Thornwood ... Bradley
• Frank Toohey, 6-7½, York ... Air Force
• Tyler Ulis, 5-8, Marian Catholic ... Kentucky
• Paul White, 6-8½, Whitney Young ... Georgetown
Follow Joe Henricksen and the Hoops Report on Twitter @joehoopsreport