By Joe Henricksen
November is here and Thanksgiving Tournaments are just three weeks away from tipping off the 2010-2011 season. And there may not be a better place to be Thanksgiving week for the high school basketball fan than the 52nd annual Ron Johnson Thanksgiving Tournament at St. Charles East High School.
The eight-team field will feature at least three teams that will be ranked among the top 20 in the Hoops Report's preseason rankings, with three others on the cusp of being ranked among the top 25. The trio of Proviso East, Hales Franciscan and Downers Grove South figure to be the teams to beat. In addition, the tournament will boast East Aurora with star Ryan Boatright, Upstate Eight Conference favorite St. Charles North and perennial power St. Joseph.
How about this list of talented Division I prospects who will be playing at St. Charles East over Thanksgiving week:
• Ryan Boatright, East Aurora (Sr.) ... The 5-11 guard is one of the most talented and exciting seniors in the state of Illinois with UConn looking more and more like the school to beat.
• Aaron Armstead, Hales Franciscan (Sr.) ... Remains one of the top uncommitted prospects in the Class of 2011.
• Aaric Armstead, Hales Franciscan (Jr.) ... A 6-5 wing who already sports several offers and is among the top dozen juniors in Illinois.
• Jeron Wilbut, Downers Grove South (Jr.) ... A blossoming 6-2 guard who showed great promise a year ago and followed it up with a solid summer.
• Jamal Millison, Downers Grove South (Jr.) ... Another Division I guard prospect for the Mustangs and coach Jay Baum.
• Keith Carter, Proviso East (Jr.) ... Burst on the scene as a freshman and is the leader of one of the top teams in the Chicago area.
• Sterling Brown, Proviso East (So.) ... The talented 6-4 brother of L.A. Laker Shannon Brown and one of the better sophomore prospects in Illinois.
• Treshaun Carroll, Proviso East (Jr.) ... Strong, athletic warrior and part of a talented trio of young players for the Pirates.
• Kendall Stephens, St. Charles East (So.) ... One of the most promising young players in a loaded sophomore class.
• Quinten Payne, St. Charles North (So.) ... Moved back from Florida and is considered to be one of the top young players in the state.
• Cameron Harvey, St. Joseph (Jr.) ... Another Division I prospect coming through the St. Joe's basketball pipeline.
Here are the pools and schedule of games at St. Charles East.
Orange Division: East Aurora, Downers Grove South, Hales Franciscan, St. Charles North
Black Division: Proviso East, Schaumburg, St. Joseph, St. Charles East
Monday, Nov. 22
5:45 p.m. East Aurora vs. Downers Grove South
7:15 p.m. Hales Franciscan vs. St. Charles North
Tuesday, Nov. 23
5:00 p.m. Downers Grove South vs. St. Charles North
6:30 p.m. Schaumburg vs. St. Joseph
8:00 p.m. Proviso East vs. St. Charles East
Wednesday, Nov. 24
5:00 p.m. Hales Franciscan vs. East Aurora
6:30 p.m. Proviso East vs. Schaumburg
8:00 p.m. St. Joseph vs. St. Charles East
Friday, Nov. 26
2:30 p.m. St. Joseph vs. Proviso East
4:00 p.m. Hales Franciscan vs. Downers Grove South
6:00 p.m. St. Charles North vs. East Aurora
7:45 p.m. St. Charles East vs. Schaumburg
Saturday's games will be determined by pool play, with the first game scheduled to tip off at 2:30 p.m. and the championship game set for 7:45 p.m.
For more information or to subscribe to the City/Suburban Hoops Report, now beginning its 16th year of publication, call (630)-408-6709 or email email@example.com