12:23 a.m. July 15
The Lite House is too crowded.
The Golden Apple is too far.
Mickey's Diner in St. Paul is a good call, but when does the train leave?
Its hot. Chicago Avenue is sizzling like bacon.
Even the cats in the alley aren't screeching.
You can hear the dream jukebox from a distant diner:
1. Diner, Martin Sexton
2. Eggs and Sausage, Tom Waits
3. A Chicken Ain't Nothin' But A Bird, Louis Jordan
4. Don't Put Ketchup On My Toast Bread, Park Central Squares (Springfield, Mo.)
5. Do Fries Go With That Shake?, George Clinton
6. Pass The Peas, J.B.'s
7. Hot Dogs and Hamburgers, John Mellencamp
8. Red's, The Morells (Springfield, Mo.)
9. Cheeseburger In Paradise, Jimmy Buffett
10. Hot Dog, That Made Him Mad, Wanda Jackson (but Carolyn Mark's version is pretty hot..Bloodshot)
11. It Ain't The Meat, It's The Motion, Southside Johnny & The Asbury Jukes
12. Raindrops In My Coffee, Sexsmith & Kerr
13. The Ghosts of Saturday Night, Tom Waits
14. No Free Lunch, Green On Red
15. Rib Tips (Parts 1 & 2), Andre Williams & His Orchestra
16. Black Coffee, Bobby Darin
17. Sugar Town, Nancy Sinatra
18. Stir It Up, Johnny Nash
19. Jelly, Jelly, Doc Pomus
20. Sugar, Sugar, Wilson Pickett
21. Polk Salad Annie, Tony Joe White
22. Mama Had A Stove, Stan Ridgway
What are we missing?