The Marin Report is a fast-paced, insightful look at the day's top news from renowned reporter Carol Marin. Watch it each weekday at noon.
Here are the stories we're following today:
• Basic arithmetic sometimes isn't so easy. Chicago police claim 700 demonstrators showed up in the Loop to protest the closing of 54 Chicago schools. The teachers union says the real number was 10 times that amount: 7,000.
• Fran Spielman reports the normally supportive black ministers are pushing back against Mayor Rahm Emanuel's approach to school reform.
• Court watchers seem to think the Supreme Court may be tilting toward striking down the Defense of Marriage Act.
• Last night's victory came after it was announced former Bull's 7-foot center and broadcaster Tom Boerwinkle had died of leukemia. He was 67.
• Sign up for the The Marin Report newsletter.