The Marin Report is a fast-paced, insightful look at the day's top news from renowned reporter Carol Marin. Watch it each weekday at noon.
Here are the stories we're following today:
• As Catholics around the world begin to learn more about Pope Francis, these are trying times for the church in Chicago. The Sun-Times reports today the number of Catholics in the Chicago Archdiocese has dropped by 276,000 since 1980.
• The funeral for 6-month old Jonylah Watkins will be Tuesday. She died after being struck by five bullets Monday on the South Side.
• College students will pay more for discounted passes to ride the el beginning this fall. The CTA will increase the cost from 81 cents to $1.07 a day. It doesn't take an economics major to determine that's a 32 percent increase.
• And this note from the always interesting Chicago City Council, which now counts not one, but two Progressive Caucuses. Combined the "progressives" total 18. Which begs this question: How does one describe the other 32 members?
• Sign up for the The Marin Report newsletter.