About 100 steelhead were weighed in the 23rd Skamania Mania over the weekend out of Michigan City, Ind., with the biggest one going 14 pounds, 4 ounces.
Mike McKee sent this summary:
June 30-July 1, 2012
Michigan City, Indiana
"All you have to do is go fish"
Established in 1990, Skamania Mania is a annual Michigan City Summer Festival event brought to you by the Northwest Indiana Steelheaders and Cabelas. First place in the free fishing event received a $200 Cabelas gift card, second was good for $50 and third through 12th received $25 cards. The lucky 13th place fish received the best prize - a $225 rod and reel combo.
Fishing was so-so for steelies around Michigan City over the weekend. Hot weather and lake temperatures near-70 degrees took a toll on the shore (pier and harbor) fishery. Still, around 100 Skamania came past the scales with equal numbers from boats, pier and Trail Creek. Most of the fish are running six to eight pounds.
Winner caught on orange Dreamweaver spoon in 70 feet of water aboard Dan Roths' Skunkless.
1. Dan Roths, Chesterton 14 pounds-4 ounces boat
2, John Marshall, Jr., Michigan City 11-8 boat
3. Matt Gunaka, Midlothian, Ill. 10-12 pier
4. Terry Jamieson, Michigan City 10-11 stream
5. Marian Tenceyn, Bridgeview, Ill. 10-9 pier
6. Dillon Nissley, Goshen, Ind. 10-9 boat
7. Matthew McDonald, Michigan City 10-7 stream
8. Carrie Patton, LaPorte 10-4 stream
9. Maria Falatovics, Michgian City 10-3 boat
10 Joshua Patton, LaPorte 10-2 stream
11. Thomas Swilley, Michigan City 9-15 boat (on minnow while perch fishing)
12. Jacu Przybylski, Cleveland, Ohio 9-13 pier
13. Jack McGann, Michigan City 9-13 boat
* Ties decided as first fish weighed receives higher place
1. John Marshall, Jr., Michigan City 11-8
2. Terry Jamison, Michigan City 10-11
3. Rob Walker, LaPorte 8-1