U.S. District Judge James Zagel today has formally announced he will move former Gov. Rod Blagojevich's Oct. 6th sentencing date.
The Sun-Times reported on Friday that Blagojevich's lawyer said the date was "quite certain" to move since Zagel had set the trial of onetime Blagojevich co-defendant William Cellini to begin three days earlier.
An entry entered in the court file today simply states:
"Sentencing set for 10/6/2011 is stricken until further order of court."
On Friday, Blagojevich lawyer Shelly Sorosky said he was sure his client's date would be moved once Zagel told prosecutors to have witnesses ready on Oct. 5 in the Cellini case.
"It's not going to happen, I'm telling you," Sorosky said Friday. "It would taint the Cellini jury. I'm quite certain it will be continued."
Cellini was a onetime co-defendant of Blagojevich. Cellini is accused of trying to extort a businessman into giving a campaign contribution to Blagojevich.
The Chicago Sun-Times earlier this month first reported that a delay was likely for Blagojevich.
The Blagojevich sentencing is likely to take more than one day and will be an all-out fight between prosecutors, who have calculated the former governor's possible sentencing range at 30 years to life and defense lawyers, who are closer to asking for probation.
Prosecutors have said they came up with their range because they're required to and have not made their recommendation to the judge on what sentence Blagojevich should face yet.