Congressman Jesse Jackson Jr. this afternoon said he was "deeply sorry," that he "disappointed some supporters," but vowed to stay in office in response to a Chicago Sun-Times article published today that raised questions leveled by a political fund-raiser.
"The allegations about fund-raising and the Senate seat are not new. I've already talked with the authorities about these claims, told them they were false, and no charges have been brought against me," Jackson said in a written statement regarding fund-raiser Raghuveer Nayak. "The very idea of raising millions of dollars for a campaign other than my own is preposterous. My interest in the Senate seat was based on years of public service, which I am proud of, not some improper scheme with anyone. The reference to a social acquaintance is a private and personal matter between me and my wife that was handled some time ago. I ask that you respect our privacy.
"I know I have disappointed some supporters and for that I am deeply sorry. But I remain committed to serving my constituents and fighting on their behalf."
The Sun-Times reported Tuesday that Nayak told authorities that on Oct. 8 of 2008, Jackson directed him to offer then-Gov. Rod Blagojevich $6 million in exchange for a senate seat appointment. Nayak also told authorities Jackson asked him to pay to fly a "social acquaintance" of the congressman to Chicago.
Jesse Jackson Jr. responds to Sun-Times story: "I'm deeply sorry." Denies Nayak allegations.
TrackBack URL: http://blogs.suntimes.com/cgi-bin/mt-tb.cgi/35620
Last year, the Committee on Standards of Official Conduct said it would hold off on an inquiry into Jackson because of the initial Blagojevich trial. The former governor was convicted of just one of 24 counts, with a jury deadlocked on the remaining ch... Read More