Chicago Sun-Times
with Mark Lazerus

Blackhawks' Duncan Keith suspended one game for high-sticking

| No Comments | No TrackBacks


Duncan Keith said it was an accident. The NHL felt otherwise.

The league suspended Keith for Thursday night's Game 4 of the Western Conference final for his high-stick of Kings forward Jeff Carter. Keith admitted to trying to hit Carter as retaliation for a slash on his unprotected hand as he reached down to grab his glove in Game 3, but said he wasn't trying to hit him in the face. But Carter needed 21 stitches to close the cut Keith gave him, and had some dental damage.

"This is more serious than a case of a player simply having to be responsible for his stick," said NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan. "It is not an accidental high stick, nor is it a defensive high stick to an opponent. This is a retaliatory high stick to an opponent that causes an injury."

Added Shanahan: "Even if Carter did chop down on Keith's hand, that still does not justify the extent of Keith's actions."

The league also labeled Keith a "repeat offender," as he was suspended five games for an elbow to Vancouver forward Daniel Sedin's head last March.

Keith had a hearing over the phone to plead his case earlier in the day.

"It was just a normal hearing with Shanahan," Keith said before the ruling came out. "It is what it is now. Out of my control.

"We've had a hearing and I said my piece and said the same thing last night. It was an accident. I didn't mean to get him where I got him."

Earlier Wednesday morning, Carter said he had moved on from the incident, and that the Kings weren't worried about the potential ruling.

''We were battling in front of the net, up the ice and ... uh, I think I took a swing at his glove there when he was trying to pick it up,'' Carter said. ''I was in front of him. The next thing I knew, I was getting a stick to the face. ... Obviously if he does get suspended it's a huge loss for their team. He's a big part of their team."

Without Keith, Sheldon Brookbank will play for the first time since the season finale on April 27 at St. Louis.

"I guess it's kind of like you're on call," Brookbank said earlier in the day. "You've got to stay ready and wait to hear the word if you're needed or not. I've been trying to say with it all playoffs anyways. Stay prepared. It's tough. It's not the ideal situation, but at the same point, that's why you have extra players. If you're going to go on a run, at some point guys are going to be needed."

No TrackBacks

TrackBack URL: http://blogs.suntimes.com/cgi-bin/mt-tb.cgi/58086

Leave a comment

Blackhawks

About the blogger

Mark Lazerus was honored nationally by the Associated Press Sports Editors for three straight years at the Post-Tribune, was named one of the top three columnists in Indiana for three straight years and has won more than 20 statewide writing awards. He has covered Notre Dame for Sun-Times Media, and now covers the Blackhawks.

Categories

Pages

About this Entry

This page contains a single entry by Mark Lazerus published on June 5, 2013 6:07 PM.

Carter has 'bigger things to worry about' than Keith incident was the previous entry in this blog.

With Keith out, Brookbank in for Blackhawks is the next entry in this blog.

Find recent content on the main index or look in the archives to find all content.