The NHL and NHLPA officially announced their changes to the All-Star game on Wednesday. The most interesting change is having captains pick teams. The captains themselves are picked by the All-Star players.
"I don't want to be one of those captains picking the teams," Hawks forward Patrick Sharp said with a laugh. "There's nothing like getting selected to the All-Star game and being the last guy drafted. If anyone in here gets selected to the All-Star team, it's a huge honor and I'd love to be one."
Here is the official info on the 2011 NHL All-Star Fantasy Draft format, which will continue to include fan balloting procedures. It contains the following new features:
• Fans will continue to play the lead role in the selection of All-Stars when 2011 NHL All-Star Fan Balloting presented by XM launches on Monday, Nov. 15. The All-Star Balloting process, which is entirely digital for the fourth consecutive game, runs through Jan. 3.
• From a group of 100 players on the ballot, fans will vote for their top six All-Stars by position without regard to the Conference in which the player plays. Fans will also have the ability to write-in a player of their choice.
• The three forwards, two defensemen and one goalie receiving the most votes will be named the first NHL All-Stars.
• The remaining 36 All-Stars will be named by the NHL Hockey Operations Department for a total of 42 All-Star players (3 goalies, 6 defensemen and 12 forwards per team).
• Following the selection of the All-Stars, NHL Hockey Operations will designate 12 NHL rookies to participate in the Honda NHL SuperSkills on Saturday, January 29 for a total of 54 NHL players taking part in All-Star weekend.
• After the 42 NHL All-Stars have been selected, two captains will be chosen per team by the players.
• On Friday, January 28, 2011, a draft event will be held in Raleigh with all 54 NHL players (42 All-Stars and 12 rookies) during which the captains will draft the remaining members of their respective teams.
• First selection in the draft will be determined by coin flip and selections will continue on an alternating basis.
• Each team will be required to select three goalies, six defensemen and 12 forwards in any order they choose.
• After the selection of the All-Star game rosters, the captains will select among the 12 rookies to fill out the rosters for the Honda NHL SuperSkill
• Each team will feature six rookies participating in various skills competitions.
• Teams will participate in six different skills, including NHL Fastest Skater, NHL Breakaway Challenge, Accuracy Shooting, Skills Challenge Relay, NHL Hardest Shot and the NHL Elimination Shoot Out.