Bears coach Lovie Smith said he doesn't expect any problems handling third downs, although it has been an issue throughout the preseason.
"It's simple execution, really, for everything. There's no quick fix or anything for it. In the preseason, you look to a lot of different things," he said. "We put the guys in situations we won't normally do during the regular season.
"If we get those third and longs during the course of the season, we'll be in good shape."
Asked if soft coverage were to blame, Smith said, "We don't play a soft coverage.
"Eventually, you get a guy in a position and he has to make a play," he said. "Most of the problems that we've had has been that for the most part, plays that we'll make later on."
Here are some other highlights from Smith:
* On if anything else jumped out at him, after watching the game back: "No. Disappointed in some of the things we did. It's a 14-9 game. It wasn't 60 to 20 or anything like that. 14-9, you're doing some good things but not enough. We had some critical stretches where we didn't make plays, all three phases, that we need to.
* On Detroit: "We don't like some of the things we've done right now, but everything we do is geared toward being ready for Detroit. And by doing that, you find out some things you don't like and you correct them. And that's what we'll do."
* Getting some of the players back. You guys had a chance to talk to Earl Bennett. It's good to see him start to do more things on the practice field. Brian Urlacher practiced full today. Josh Bullocks practiced. So we're getting some of our players back.
At the same time, this is the fourth preseason game. You try to look at a lot of different things. Some of the players we haven't gotten a look with right now we will. Todd Collins did some good things in practice today.
Now, he's been around, it's big for him to get a few reps to see exactly what he can do. You always want to get back to the practice field.
Detroit is right around the corner for us, and we realize that.
And we're making progress.
* On how much starters will play Thursday in Cleveland: "Protocol as usual. We have a plan, that we're going to go with, that we feel real comfortable with. The record in the preseason, that means a little bit. But, what you want t et from the preseason is just seeing guys in certain situations and hoping you get better. And that's what we're able to do. We're not necessarily going to go out and play three quarters. The plan was to increase their time, until the third preseason game, like we've always done. We'll follow that same formula, for the most part."
* On D.J. Moore pushing for the nickel cornerback job: "He's a guy that was on the outside looking in. But he's done enough where he started this past game. I like some of the things he's done. Excellent hands. Good quickness. Has played the run fairly well, so he's doing some good things. I like some of the things that Corey Graham did at the nickel position, too. They'll keep battling, to see who is the guy."
* On what Caleb Hanie is doing: "Caleb is getting back into the mix, as far as being able to do a few things. He's not there yet, but he doesn't have to be. He is making progress. He's a lot better along this week, naturally, than he was."