Charles Tillman said that he experienced "extreme dizziness'' when he was hit in the back of the helmet in Sunday's loss at Minnesota.
That is what led the Bears to say he suffered a mild concussion. Tillman returned to the practice field this afternoon at Halas Hall and had full participation, making him likely to start Sunday's game vs. St. Louis unless there is an unforeseen setback.
"Really, it was just a hard hit to the back of my head, a big bump,'' he said. "I saw like a bright flash, dizziness more than anything. I was completely conscious. I knew what was going on the whole time. Just more less just dizziness. I was completely aware of my surroundings. I knew I was in Minnesota. I knew I was in the Metrodome. I knew I was in a football game."
The NFL released new guidelines for players returning to action from concussions on Wednesday, and Tillman passed all the levels of tests. Concussions have been at the forefront for the league, which had to appear on Capitol Hill before the House Judiciary Committee in late October. Quarterbacks Kurt Warner and Ben Roethlisberger sat out with concussions last week. Running backs Clinton Portis and Brian Westbrook have been sidelined. Running back Jamal Lewis was placed on inured reserve on Wednesday with post-concussion symptoms.
"I think it is a serious matter,'' Tillman said. "For whatever reason, I don't know what the hell is going on. This happens to the injury of this season. Next year it might be feet or toes or arms of fingers, I don't know. But for whatever reason, this is the injury of the NFL this year. But I think I'm going to be all right. I'm concerned about my health, but I'm not concerned that it will affect me in any way down the line.
"I felt like I could go back in. But the doctors were like, 'No, we're going to hold you out.' I respect their decision. They've got 13, 15, 20 years of school. I've only got three and a half, so I'm good."