Chicago Sun-Times

Rosenhaus making final recruiting trip?

| No Comments | No TrackBacks

If he’s making a final recruiting trip for wide receiver Bernard Berrian, Drew Rosenhaus wasn’t saying as he stood against the outside of Soldier Field Sunday morning.

Approached by the Sun-Times at 10:30 a.m., Rosenhaus declined comment on the story in Sunday’s edition that said Berrian will hire Rosenhaus this coming week after termination papers go through on his firing of Maximum Sports Management and Roosevelt Barnes.

``I’ve got no comment,’’ Rosenhaus said. ``I’m not going to talk about anything. It’s good to see you, buddy.’’

Rosenhaus was at the game in Green Bay last week and has been a semi-regular at Bears’ games the last few seasons as his list of clients has grown in the locker room. Berrian would become the seventh Rosenhaus represented player in the locker room if he goes through with the switch. For years, Rosenhaus had no players with the Bears. That changed when the club traded for defensive end Adewale Ogunleye in 2004 and he brokered a $34 million deal for the former Miami Dolphin.

After Ogunleye arrived, running back Thomas Jones fired high-powered agent Tom Condon to join Rosenhaus. Linebacker Lance Briggs left a pioneer in the industry, Leigh Steinberg, to take up with Rosenhaus. Defensive tackle Tommie Harris, who changed agents twice in six months, left Barnes and partner Eugene Parker for Rosenhaus as a rookie. In all, four Bears players have switched to Rosenhaus since ’04 and Berrian would be the fifth.

League sources told the Sun-Times Berrian announced he was making the move because he was told Barnes and Parker are facing a suspension from the NFLPA. Both men denied the rumor, and a source said Berrian verified it was false on his own during the week with the NFLPA. Profootballtalk.com reported Saturday afternoon that Berrian submitted his termination papers on Tuesday. The five-day waiting period expires Monday, when Berrian would be free to sign elsewhere.

``We’re kind of waiting to see what is going to happen,’’ Barnes told the Sun-Times Saturday. ``He’s supposed to get back to us Monday.’’

It was certainly a distraction for Berrian in a week where he was fighting to come back from a sprained toe that knocked him out of the Green Bay game. Berrian could be a candidate for the franchise tag following the season. The Bears made him a contract proposal on a five-year extension in June with $8 million guaranteed and $20 million in total value. Barnes turned that down and went back to the club asking for roughly double. The Bears chose to spend their money on cornerbacks Charles Tillman and Nathan Vasher.

Berrian has struggled like every one else on the 30th-ranked offense. He’s tied for sixth in the NFC with 25 catches, but has yet to reach the end zone and has a long of 26 yards. Berrian dropped what would have been a certain touchdown in the loss to Dallas, and Stats Inc. says he has three drops on the season.

``I’m not worried about that stuff,’’ Berrian said about his status as a free-agent to be.

Changing high-profile agents in season indicates he’s at least thinking about free agency a great deal if he’s not worried about it.

No TrackBacks

TrackBack URL: http://blogs.suntimes.com/cgi-bin/mt-tb.cgi/4384

Leave a comment

Twitter updates

Categories

About this Entry

This page contains a single entry by Brad Biggs published on October 14, 2007 11:07 AM.

Lineup changes was the previous entry in this blog.

Jamar Williams taken to locker room is the next entry in this blog.

Find recent content on the main index or look in the archives to find all content.