The Second Presbyterian Church, at 1936 S. Michigan in the South Loop, has been officially designated a National Historic Landmark by the U.S. Department of the Interior.
Built in 1987 but restored in 1900-1901 after a fire that spared the limestone exterior, the church has a sanctuary that's considered one of the nation's largest and best preserved Arts and Crafts interiors. It was designed by noted architect Howard Van Doren Shaw. It also features stained glass windows including nine by the firm of Louis Comfort Tiffany, and two rare English windows designed by Sir Edward Burne-Jones and manufactured by Morris & Co.
National Historic Landmark status represents the highest U.S. recognition for buildings and sites. The Second Presbyterian joins previously designated Chicago based National Historic Landmarks of Hull House, Glessner House, Crown Hall, Robie House, the Pullman Historic District, and the site of the first Self-Sustaining Nuclear Reaction.