Fans of "Family Guy" or "Ted" think he's a genius. You've never heard of him except that he's hosting the Oscars.
Here are five things to know about tonight's emcee, Seth MacFarlane.
1) He's a New Englander, born and raised in Conneticut and educated at the Rhode Island School of Design. IMDB reports that his ancestors were travelers on the Mayflower.
2) He's rich. Even if you aren't watching his shows, lots of people are. Forbes pegged his wealth at $36 million as of May 2012.
3) He was supposed to be on American Airlines Flight 11 on Sept. 11, 2001 but arrived at the airport after boarding was closed. An hour later the flight collided into the World Trade Center, killing everyone on board. "After the fact it was sobering but people have a lot of close calls; you're crossing the street and you almost get hit by a car," MacFarlane said in an interview. "This one just happened to be related to something massive. I really can't let it affect me because I'm a comedy writer. I have to put that in the back of my head."
4) He sings. MacFarlane released a 2011 album of 1950's era Big Band classics called "Music Is Better Than Words." The album was nominated for a Grammy in the Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album category but MacFarlane lost to Tony Bennett. So did Susan Boyle.
5) He's funny. Really, really funny. Check out @SethMacFarlane.