A daily dose of arts and entertainment

Riccardo Muti cancels his second week of CSO concerts

| No Comments | No TrackBacks

After dropping out of this week's subscription concerts due to illness, Chicago Symphony Orchestra music director Riccardo Muti has withdrawn from next week's program as well.

Muti, who has the flu, has said that he feels more comfortable recuperating at home, a CSO spokesperson said Wednesday, and has returned to Italy. He still expects to lead the CSO on its upcoming tour of Asia, beginning Jan. 25.

Replacing Muti for CSO concerts Jan. 17-19 will be Edo de Waart, music director of the Milwaukee Symphony. The Jan. 17-19 program now includes Mozart's Symphony No. 41 ("Jupiter") and Brahms' Symphony No. 4. De Waart had already agreed to substitute for Muti in CSO concerts Jan. 10-15.

In addition, Miguel Harth-Bedoya, music director of the Fort Worth (Texas) Symphony Orchestra, will lead the open rehearsal Jan. 14 as part of the 2013 Chicago Youth in Music Festival. Muti had been scheduled to conduct this performance, which features members of the Civic Orchestra and Festival Orchestra (consisting of local high-school students).

Ticketholders may call CSO Patron Services at (312) 294-3000 with any questions.

No TrackBacks

TrackBack URL: http://blogs.suntimes.com/cgi-bin/mt-tb.cgi/53316

Leave a comment

About this Entry

This page contains a single entry by Laura Emerick published on January 9, 2013 3:45 PM.

In Case You Missed: Lori Rackl at TCA was the previous entry in this blog.

Early riser Seth MacFarlane joins Oscar nominations is the next entry in this blog.

Find recent content on the main index or look in the archives to find all content.